Summer Love (1958 film)
Summer Love is a 1958 black-and-white musical comedy film directed by Charles F. Haas, written by William Raynor and Herbert H. Margolis, and starred John Saxon, Jill St. John, Judi Meredith, and Molly Bee. It was double billed with The Big Beat and is a sequel to the 1956 film Rock, Pretty Baby.
|Directed by||Charles F. Haas|
|Written by||William Raynor|
Herbert H. Margolis
|Produced by||William Grady, Jr.|
Jill St. John
|Cinematography||Carl E. Guthrie|
|Edited by||Tony Martinelli|
|Music by||Henry Mancini|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
Jimmy Daley and his band mates, Mike and Ox, land a performing date in Lake Tahoe, California. His father, a doctor, gives his approval, although he is concerned about Jimmy neglecting his education for music. Joan Wright, his girlfriend, is sorry to see Jimmy leave, but he gives her a bus ticket and invites her to come visit.
To their surprise, Jimmy and Mike discover that Ox has booked the band at a summer camp where the musicians are also expected to work. The band is joined on stage by Alice, a very good singer, while Mike cheers up even more at the sight of beautiful girls in the audience, in particular Erica Landis, whose many admirers accompany her.
Jimmy's in for more surprises. His parents show up, on vacation, bringing along kid sister Twinkie, who's just 14 but eager to begin meeting boys. Joan also arrives, in time to jealously see Erica making a play for Jimmy. Equally envious is Mike, who is head over heels in love with Erica.
Ox falls for Alice, the singer. Twinkie gets a crush on a teenaged horse trainer. As for Jimmy, who has been resisting Erica's aggressive advances, he finally shows an interest in her, whereupon Erica cools off, having made another conquest. Jimmy and Joan patch things up, and the Daleys return home from their summer adventure.
- John Saxon as Jimmy Daley
- Molly Bee as Alice
- Rod McKuen as Ox Bentley
- Judi Meredith as Joan Wright
- Jill St. John as Erica Landis
- John Wilder as Mike Howard
- George Winslow as Thomas Daley III
- Fay Wray as Beth Daley
- Edward Platt as Thomas Daley
- Shelley Fabares as Twinkie
- Gordon Gebert Tad Powers
- Beverly Washburn as Jackie Bronson
- Bob Courtney as Half-Note Harris
- Hylton Socher as Fingers Porter
- Marjorie Durant as Hilda
- Walter Reed as Mr. Reid
In May 1957 Universal announced they would make a sequel to Rock Pretty Baby with John Saxon and several of the original cast, though not Sal Mineo who was "too busy".
Universal has not officially released Summer Love on DVD or VHS. A few bootleg DVD-R copies of varying quality exist but otherwise, not much else is known.
- A. W. H. (2013). "Summer Love (1958)". Movies & TV Dept. The New York Times. Baseline & All Movie Guide. Archived from the original on November 14, 2013.
- Vagg, Stephen (July 29, 2020). "The Top Twelve Stages of Saxon". Filmink.
- Saxon Starred in New Teen-age Salute; Jan Harrison Term-Pacted Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times 1 May 1957: B11
- Summer Love at IMDb