Suffern station is a commuter rail stop in Suffern, New York, United States. It is operated by New Jersey Transit, whose Main Line serves the station, and also used by the Metro-North Railroad's Port Jervis Line.
|Location||2 Ramapo Avenue & Chestnut Street, Suffern, New York|
|Owned by||New Jersey Transit|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Connections|| Transport of Rockland: 59, 93, Monsey Loop 3, Tappan ZEExpress|
(2 blocks north on Chestnut Street)
Short Line Bus: 17M/MD/SF
|Station code||2501 (Erie Railroad)|
|Opened||June 30, 1841|
|Rebuilt||March 9, 1887|
January 1, 1941
|May 1941||1887 station depot razed|
|2012||830 (average weekday)|
The current station was built in 1941 by the Erie Railroad and replaced an older station near the site of the current New York State Thruway overpass. That older station, built in 1887, served the Piermont Branch when that line had passenger service. It was demolished in 1941 when the new station was built. A Wells Fargo Express Mail depot built in 1908 occupies the site and is now a museum.
The station has two tracks, each with a low-level side platform. Suffern is the only station used by New Jersey Transit in New York (aside from New York Penn Station) that does not have Metro North-styled signage trackside, instead employing NJT's black and white signs.
- Mott, Edward Harold (1899). Between the Ocean and the Lakes: The Story of Erie. New York, New York: John S. Collins. Retrieved July 29, 2020.
- "List of Station Names and Numbers". Jersey City, New Jersey: Erie Railroad. May 1, 1916. Retrieved November 23, 2010.
- "Main and Bergen County Line Timetables" (PDF). Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. November 7, 2010. Retrieved November 27, 2010.
- Mott 1899, p. 331.
- Seymour, HC (October 28, 1841). "Eastern Division of the New York and Erie Railroad". The Evening Post. New York, New York. p. 1. Retrieved July 29, 2020 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Suffern's New Depot". The Evening Gazette. Port Jervis, New York. March 11, 1987. p. 1. Retrieved March 2, 2018.
- "Demolish Station, Old Landmark Here". The Paterson News. May 13, 1941. p. 8. Retrieved April 6, 2019 – via Newspapers.com.
- "QUARTERLY RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANALYSIS" (PDF). New Jersey Transit. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 27, 2012. Retrieved January 4, 2013.
- Saeed, Khurram (April 19, 2007). "NJ Transit approves 10 percent fare hike". The Journal News. p. A.5.
- "Historical Marker in front of building".
Media related to Suffern (NJT station) at Wikimedia Commons