|Born||January 12, 1973|
He was born in Oban on 12 January 1973 and spent his early years in Inveroran, near Bridge of Orchy. His father Billy was an accomplished musician, as is his mother Agnes, and his grandfather was Ronnie McCallum, piper to the Duke of Argyll and a prominent piping tutor. At the age of four the family moved to Moffat in Dumfriesshire where Stuart went to school. The family moved to Inveraray, his mother's home town, in 1983.
For ten years (1998–2008), he played with the Simon Fraser University Pipe Band in Burnaby, British Columbia. With the SFU Pipe band he won three World Pipe Band Championship titles, in 1999, 2001, and 2008. Before joining the SFU Pipe Band, he played with ScottishPower Pipe Band.
Liddell has won many of the top awards in solo piping, including the Gold Medal at the Argyllshire Gathering (2000), the Gold Medal at the Northern Meeting (2004), the former winner's Clasp at the Northern Meeting (2007 & 2009), the Bratach Gorm at the Scottish Piping Society of London (2009) and
He is known for his fast playing and innovative arrangements of piping standards.
In 2007, Liddell released his first solo recording, Inveroran. He has also appeared on several recordings of Simon Fraser University Pipe Band, with solo tracks on many discs, including:
- 1997 Piping Centre Recital Series Vol.2
- Scottish Power Pipe Band – Tartan Weave
- Simon Fraser University Pipe Band – Live at Carnegie Hall
- Simon Fraser University Pipe Band - Down Under
- Awesome Pipers - 2004
- Simon Fraser University Pipe Band – On Home Ground
- "Entertainment: SFU Pipe Band makes its annual call to Vernon". The Morning Star. 3 July 2015.
- "Pipe Band History and Accolades". Simon Fraser University Pipe Band. April 2014. Retrieved 8 October 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Andrew's Tips: Gold Medal Winners". BagpipeJourney. Retrieved 26 July 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Northern Meeting Winners". The Northern Meeting. Retrieved 26 July 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Music review: Glenfiddich Piping Championship". The Scotsman. 2 November 2009. Retrieved 8 October 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Piper lifts 'ultimate accolade'". BBC News. 1 November 2009.
- "Glenfiddich piping and fiddle champions crowned". BBC News. 26 October 2014.