Strzegowo [stʂɛˈɡɔvɔ] (German: Striegenau) is a village on the Wkra river in Mława County, Masovian Voivodeship, in east-central Poland. It is the seat of the gmina (administrative district) called Gmina Strzegowo. It was formerly known as Strzegowo-Osada ("Strzegowo settlement"). It lies approximately 25 kilometres (16 mi) south of Mława and 91 km (57 mi) north-west of Warsaw.
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
The village has approximately 8,000 inhabitants.
The village was mentioned in medieval documents in 1349. Administratively it was located in the Płock Voivodeship in the Greater Poland Province of the Polish Crown. A Catholic parish was established in the village in 1532.
On August 21, 1920, it was a place of battle during the Polish–Soviet War. There is a military cemetery of the soldiers of the Polish 115th Greater Poland Uhlan Regiment, who died in the battle.
After the joint German-Soviet invasion of Poland, which started World War II, it was occupied by Germany from 1939 to 1945. Before the war, 30% of the population of the village was Jewish. Almost all were murdered in the Holocaust. Some were slaughtered in the town itself by Germans and local ethnic Germans (the Volksdeutsche). Others were deported to Treblinka and Auschwitz where they were murdered. A few escaped and joined the partisans. A Polish doctor staffed the small Jewish hospital and helped quell the epidemic of typhus. Nazi Germany also operated a transit camp for Poles expelled from the region at the local school.
- "Central Statistical Office (GUS) - TERYT (National Register of Territorial Land Apportionment Journal)" (in Polish). 2008-06-01.
- Słownik geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego i innych krajów słowiańskich, Tom XI (in Polish). Warszawa. 1890. p. 454.
- Kowalski, Andrzej (1995). "Miejsca pamięci związane z Bitwą Warszawską 1920 r.". Niepodległość i Pamięć (in Polish). Muzeum Niepodległości w Warszawie (2/2 (3)): 161. ISSN 1427-1443.
- Megargee, Geoffrey (2012). Encyclopedia of Camps and Ghettos. Bloomington, Indiana: University of Indiana Press. p. Volume II, 28–29. ISBN 978-0-253-35599-7.
- Wardzyńska, Maria (2017). Wysiedlenia ludności polskiej z okupowanych ziem polskich włączonych do III Rzeszy w latach 1939-1945 (in Polish). Warszawa: IPN. p. 423. ISBN 978-83-8098-174-4.
- Jewish Community in Strzegowo on Virtual Shtetl