Store Norske Spitsbergen Kulkompani
Store Norske Spitsbergen Kulkompani (SNSK), or simply Store Norske, is a Norwegian coal mining company based on the Svalbard archipelago. It was formed in 1916, after a Norwegian purchase of the American Arctic Coal Company (ACC).
|Predecessor||Arctic Coal Company|
|Per Andersson (CEO)|
|Revenue||NOK 1,200 million|
|NOK 350 million (2009)|
|Owner||Norwegian Ministry of Trade and Industry|
Number of employees
The company has 360 employees and operated two coal mines. The larger one was located in the Sveagruva settlement, about 60 km south of Longyearbyen. The Svea Nord longwall mine has an annual output of 2 million tonnes of bituminous coal. A third of it is sold for metallurgical purposes. The managing director of Store Norske Spitsbergen Kulkompani was Per Andersson. The Sveagruva mine closed in 2017.
In 2021, the Store Norske Spitsbergen Kulkompani was ranked no. 81 in the Arctic Environmental Responsibility Index (AERI) that covers 120 oil, gas, and mining companies involved in resource extraction north of the Arctic Circle.
Store Norske Spitsbergen Kulkompani was founded in 1916.
Former chief executive officersEdit
- Kjersti Sjursen Lien (2011-03-23). Kullbrann slokket på Svalbard "Kullbrann slokket på Svalbard" Check
|url=value (help) (in Norwegian Bokmål). NRK. Retrieved 2015-05-28.
- Overland, I., Bourmistrov, A., Dale, B., Irlbacher‐Fox, S., Juraev, J., Podgaiskii, E., Stammler, F., Tsani, S., Vakulchuk, R. and Wilson, E.C. 2021. The Arctic Environmental Responsibility Index: A method to rank heterogenous extractive industry companies for governance purposes. Business Strategy and the Environment. 30, 1623–1643. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/bse.2698
- Rui, Ingolf Jarle (20 February 2018). "Store Norske Spitsbergen Kulkompani AS". Store norske leksikon (in Norwegian). Foreningen Store norske leksikon. Retrieved 6 May 2021.
- Får penger til å lete etter Kjøde-kaprernes graver [Receiving money to find the graves of the Kjøde hicackers]
- «Vedtar forelegg for korrupsjon» by Rune Endresen, Dagens Næringsliv, 2011-08-27, page 6