Stoke Goldington is a village and civil parish in the Borough of Milton Keynes and ceremonial county of Buckinghamshire, England. It is located about four miles NNW of Newport Pagnell, on the B526, the old road to Northampton.
|Population||575 (2011 Census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Post town||NEWPORT PAGNELL|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
The village name 'Stoke' derives from the Old English 'stoc', which means 'place'. It came to be used in the context of either a religious or a secondary settlement, and is one of the most common place name elements in England (see Stoke (disambiguation)). In the Domesday Book of 1086 the village was recorded as Stoche. The affix 'Goldington' came later and refers to "Peter of Goldington" (from Goldington in Bedfordshire) who was a significant tenant in the village in the medieval period.
in 2015, the village won the 'Buckinghamshire's best kept village' competition
Annual Steam RallyEdit
Formerly the village hosted the Stoke Goldington Steam Rally each May.
Stoke Goldington is susceptible to occasional flooding, and suffered badly in 2007 with repeated floods. Water settled up to 1.5 metres deep in places, requiring the evacuation of some of the population. Subsequently, contractors for Milton Keynes Council installed measures to reduce the flood risk. In May 2018, there was another flood, that overcame the new flood defences.
- Neighbourhood Statistics 2011 Census Archived 2016-03-04 at the Wayback Machine, Accessed 4 February
- Parishes in Milton Keynes Archived 2009-06-08 at the Wayback Machine - Milton Keynes Council.
- "Floods hit Bucks village again". BBC Three Counties website. Retrieved 29 December 2013.
- Flood defence bunds – Stoke Goldington – Milton Keynes Council Highways, (undated)
- MORE THAN 200 CALLS AS STORM STRIKES MILTON KEYNES – Buckinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service, 28 May 2018
- Stoke Goldington Association web site History, census data, old photographs and more.
- Stoke Goldington Steam Rally web site For information on the steam rally.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stoke Goldington.|