Steven H Silver(Redirected from Steven H. Silver)
Steven H Silver (born April 19, 1967 in Hinsdale, Illinois) is an American science fiction fan and bibliographer, publisher, author, and editor. He has been nominated for the Hugo Award for Best Fan Writer twelve times and Best Fanzine four times without winning.
Steven H Silver
Silver in 2008
|Born||April 19, 1967|
Hinsdale, Illinois, United States
|Occupation||Technical writer, editor, publisher, reviewer, bid proposal writer|
Editor, publisher, and writerEdit
Silver is a longtime contributing editor to SF Site and has written that site's news page since its inception.
In 2003, he co-edited three anthologies with Martin H. Greenberg, Wondrous Beginnings, Magical Beginnings, and Horrible Beginnings, which reprinted the first published stories of authors in the science fiction, fantasy, and horror genres. From 2004 through 2012 he was the publisher and editor of ISFiC Press.
In 2009 and 2010, he edited the two volume Selected Stories of Lester del Rey for NESFA Press. The first volume is entitled War and Space and appeared in August, 2009. The second volume, Robots and Magic was published in February 2010.
Sidewise and Nebula AwardsEdit
In 1995, he founded the Sidewise Award for Alternate History and has served as a judge ever since. He was on the short story jury for the Nebula Award in 2002, and on the novel jury for the Nebula Award in 2003, 2006, and chaired the novel jury in 2008. In 2005, Silver was one of the co-ordinators of the Nebula weekend in Chicago. In 2008, he was appointed SFWA Event Coordinator and has helped run the Nebula Award Weekends in that capacity since 2009.
Silver is known as an on-line reviewer and has written several articles for science fiction fanzines, as well as publishing his own annual fanzine Argentus, which was nominated for a Hugo Award for Best Fanzine in 2008, 2009, and 2010, and won the Chronic Rift Roundtable Award for Best Fanzine in 2009 and the monthly APA-zine Plata.
In addition to his writing and editing activities, Silver is involved in running science fiction conventions. He has chaired Windycon twice, founded Midfan and chaired the first Midwest Construction, and ran programming for Chicon 2000, the Worldcon. From 1998 through 2006 and again from 2008, he sat on the board of directors for ISFiC. He served as a vice chair for Chicon 7 in 2012.
- Kelly, Mark R. (2009). "Hugo Nominees List". Locus Index to SF Awards. Locus. Archived from the original on September 20, 2011. Retrieved 2009-03-21.
- "Silver Resigns from ISFiC Press". SF Site. 2012-11-12. Retrieved 2012-11-16.
- Silver, Steven H (Fall 2008). "Les Lettres de Paston". Helix SF (10). Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- "War and Space by Lester del Rey". NESFA Press. December 12, 2009. Retrieved March 16, 2010.
- "Magic and Robots by Lester del Rey". NESFA Press. December 12, 2009. Retrieved March 16, 2010.
- "Sidewise: About the Awards". Uchronia.net. Retrieved 2015-07-22.
- SFWA Forum, February 2003, p. 10
- SFWA Forum, April 2003, p. 15
-  Archived September 24, 2006, at the Wayback Machine
- "About the Awards Committee and Nebula Juries". Nebula Awards. SFWA. 2009. Archived from the original on September 5, 2012. Retrieved 2009-03-22.
-  Archived January 3, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- Nebula Award Weekend 2012 Guide.
- Hawkins, Kit (2009-04-08). "The Chronic Rift's 2009 Roundtable Award Winners". SF Scope. SFScope.com. Archived from the original on 2010-12-21. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- "ISFiC, Inc.: Windycons Past". Isfic.org. Retrieved 2015-07-22.
- "Chicon 7: The 70th World Science Fiction Convention". Chicon.org. 2012-09-03. Retrieved 2015-07-22.
- "OT - Tech writer on Jeopardy". Techwr-l.com. 2000-06-16. Retrieved 2015-07-22.
- "How I got on Jeopardy!". Home.bluegrass.net. Retrieved 2015-07-22.