Steve Belles (born November 21, 1966) is a former American football quarterback with the Arizona Rattlers of the Arena Football League. He subsequently became a high school football coach in Arizona, amassing five state championships at Hamilton High School in Chandler.
|Born:||November 21, 1966|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||210 lb (95 kg)|
|High school:||Phoenix (AZ) St. Mary's|
|Career Arena statistics|
|Player stats at ArenaFan.com|
Belles attended St. Mary's High School in Phoenix, where in 1984 he won a state championship and was named Arizona High School Player of the Year. He played college football at the University of Notre Dame.
After college he played one season with the Arizona Rattlers of the Arena Football League. He was also offensive coordinator of the Rattlers in 1993 and played in Europe for the Ravenna Chiefs in 1991.
Belles has been a head coach at three Arizona high schools: Desert Mountain High School in Scottsdale, Mountain Ridge High School in Glendale, and most recently Hamilton High School in Chandler. He was at Desert Mountain from 1995 to 2000 with a 26-25 record. At Mountain Ridge, where he was head coach from 2000 to 2006 with a 47-13 record, his team advanced to the state finals in 2004 against his future team, Hamilton High School, losing 37–7.
Belles became the head football coach at Hamilton in 2006 after John Wrenn left to become Arizona State University's running backs coach. He was instantly successful there with a 13–1 record, Fiesta Region Title, and an Arizona State Championship in his first season. Belles amassed a 131–18 record as coach, including five State Championships at Hamilton, and Arizona's big school state record 53-game win streak. During his tenure, Hamilton was ranked as high as fourth in the nation by the USA Today Super 25. As a head coach, Belles has a 204–56 record.
As a result of a hazing scandal at Hamilton becoming public in 2017, Chandler Unified School District suspended Belles as coach before the start of the football season. He remained at the school as a teacher until September, when he was reassigned to the district offices, and in December the head coach position was advertised with the Arizona Interscholastic Association.
- "Steve Belles: Head Coach". mychandlerschools.org. Retrieved 2014-10-31.
- "Rattlers All-Time History" (PDF). Arizona Rattlers. Archived from the original (PDF) on February 26, 2016. Retrieved October 31, 2014.
- "Belles, Steve / Overview". www.cusd80.com. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "Steve Belles". AZ Elite Sports Camps. Retrieved 2018-06-30.
- "Hamilton High School 04-05 Football Schedule". MaxPreps.com. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "Wrenn named assistant athletic director for football operations". ASU Now. 2010-05-10. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "ASU Hires Arizona High School Coaching Legend John Wrenn To Be Running Backs Coach: Former Hamilton High Head Coach to join Koetter's staff in 2006". CSTV. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- Ardaya, Fabian (2016-11-04). "Hamilton Is Highest". The Battle For Arizona Avenue. Retrieved 2018-06-30.
- "Hamilton HS football coach 'reassigned to home' indefinitely, district says". KPNX. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "Hamilton High School head football coach 'reassigned to home'". KSAZ. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "Steve Belles will not coach Hamilton football next season". azcentral. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "Hamilton High School names new football coach as hazing investigation continues". KTAR. 2017-05-11. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "Hamilton High School administrators reassigned in wake of sex-assault investigation". The Arizona Republic. 2017-09-22. Retrieved 2017-12-12.
- "Hamilton High School posts head varsity football coach job". KPNX. Retrieved 2017-12-14.
- "Steve Belles lands football coaching, teaching job at Utah high school". azcentral. Retrieved 2018-06-30.