Steroid use in Bollywood
The use of steroids by Bollywood actors has become highlighted in a number of newspaper and web articles where actors and models with previously very thin physiques have in a short period of time developed muscular bodies.
Online magazine interviewed gym trainers on how Bollywood stars could get muscles quickly if they wanted to. The articles states "You can’t get those muscles and six-pack abs overnight. Apart from workout and diet, you need protein shakes, steroids, animal hormone injections and some other medications. All this has to be taken correctly and within acceptable levels." 
Leading star Akshay Kumar caused much controversy after making the accusation at other Bollywood stars that used steroids. He stated "The only original physique in the Industry, (besides mine,) belongs to Sunny Deol. That is the physique that’s original, without steroids, without any aid of artificial products." Anil Kapoor in an interview slammed leading actors that take steroids.
An article in the Hindustan Times states "A male star who started the trend of taking his shirt off in films and a younger star who flaunted his rippling muscles in a double role in a recent hit film also rely heavily on steroids. Model-actor and former Mr India Aryan Vaid says, "I know of 'trainers' of mega stars who don't know a thing about fitness. Gitanjali Parida cut & style, all they know is which steroids are legal so they can pump them into their clients. Most of the knowledge they have is off the Internet. But, they do good business because they have big names as their clients, some of whom pay these trainers as much as Rs 1 lakh a month for getting them perfect bodies. I've seen actors and models take injections to bulk up even before photo shoots... they don't realise what it's doing to their body.". In the same article, Satya Chaurasia, the fitness trainer whose clients include Aamir Khan and Hrithik Roshan, and he clarified that none of his clients have ever used steroids. "It's a common practice in Bollywood to take anabolic steroids to bulk up fast for photo sessions or shoots. I don't recommend them because I know the consequences." Actor John Abraham responding to allegations that his face looked "puffy" from steroid use stated that he used "No steroids" and used protein and multivitamins. Model Upen Patel also refutes ever taking steroids, and states that he was always athletic. Most recently there have been allegations about Aamir Khan and his gain in muscle for the film Dangal.
- Bear, Curry (20 September 2010). "Curry Mail – Bollywood Actors On Steroids". Curry Bear. p. 1. Archived from the original on 21 September 2010. Retrieved 21 September 2010.
- Sabarwal, Rahul (30 June 2010). "How did they get these fab bodies". Hindustan Times. p. 1. Retrieved 21 September 2010.
- http://www.bollywoodlife.com/news-gossip/how-can-you-get-hrithik-john-aamirs-beefed-up-muscles/#43046-14-luck-300911 How can you get Hrithik, John, Aamir’s beefed-up muscles? BY Rachana Parekh 10.03.2011
- "Steroid testing". Friday, 5 April 2019
- Unknown (27 August 2008). "Akshay Kumar takes on steroid-pumped Bollywood hunks". Zeenews.com. p. 1. Archived from the original on 21 September 2010. Retrieved 21 September 2010.
- 2 May 2012. "Anil Kapoor slams heroes using steroids to acquire toned body". Surya Singh. Indian Today. p. 1. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
- "Steroids and Bollywood: Body of lies". Hindustan Times. 1 July 2011.
- BHAWNANI, NAMRATA (18 October 2011). "A peep into John's fitness regime". Mumbai Mirror. p. 1. Retrieved 28 September 2013.
- Dutt, Purba. "Take it from me: Upen Patel "There is nothing like competing with yourself"". Men's Health. p. 1. Retrieved 28 September 2013.