Stephen I, Duke of Bavaria
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
To reduce the influence of the Wittelsbach Pope Nicholas IV refused his spiritual career in Salzburg and Stephen became a co-regnant of his brothers. During the absence of Otto III in Hungary 1305-1308 Stephen was the only governing duke of Lower Bavaria. Stephen was an enemy of the Habsburgs and died in 1310 during a war against Frederick I of Austria.
Marriage and childrenEdit
In 1299, Stephen married Jutta of Schweidnitz. She was a daughter of Bolko I, Duke of Jawor and Świdnica and Beatrix of Brandenburg. Her maternal grandparents were Otto V, Margrave of Brandenburg-Salzwedel and Jutta of Hennenberg. They had eight children:
- Agnes of Wittelsbach (1301 - 7 December 1316). Joined the Cistercian Monastery at Seligenthal as a nun.
- Beatrix of Wittelsback (1302 - 29 April 1360). Married Henry III of Gorizia. Regent for their son John Henry IV of Gorizia.
- Friedrich of Wittelsbach (c. 1303). Considered to have died young.
- Judith of Wittelsbach (c. 1304). Considered to have died young.
- Henry XIV, Duke of Bavaria (29 September 1305 - 1 September 1339).
- Elizabeth of Wittelsbach (1306 - 25 March 1330). Married Otto, Duke of Austria.
- Otto IV, Duke of Lower Bavaria (3 January 1307 - 14 December 1334).
- Ludwig of Wittelsbach (c. 1308). Considered to have died young.
This section does not cite any sources. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Ancestors of Stephen I, Duke of Bavaria|
- Cawley, Charles, His listing along with his wife . The project "involves extracting and analysing detailed information from primary sources, including contemporary chronicles, cartularies, necrologies and testaments.", Medieval Lands database, Foundation for Medieval Genealogy
- Marek, Miroslav. "A listing of descendants of Otto I, Count of Scheyern, including Henry XIII and his children". Genealogy.EU.
Stephen I, Duke of BavariaBorn: 1271 Died: 1310
| Duke of Lower Bavaria
Henry XIV with Otto IV