Stephen D. Glazier
Stephen D. Glazier (born Mystic, Connecticut) is an American anthropologist. Currently, he is a Research Anthropologist at the Human Relations Area Files at Yale University. He has conducted extensive fieldwork in Trinidad focusing on Caribbean religions such as Rastafari, Orisa/Sango, and the Spiritual Baptists. He also publishes on Caribbean archaeology and ethnohistory and cataloged Irving Rouse's St. Joseph (Trinidad) and Mayo (Trinidad) collections for the Peabody Museum of Natural History. In 2016, Glazier retired as Professor of Anthropology and Graduate Faculty Faculty Fellow at the University of Nebraska where he offered classes in general (four-field) anthropology, race and minority relations, and a graduate seminar on the anthropology of belief systems. Glazier began his graduate studies in anthropology at Princeton University under Martin G. Silverman, Hildred Geertz, Alfonso Ortiz, and Vincent Crapanzano. He also earned an M.Div. from Princeton Theological Seminary. His M. Div. thesis—based on experiences as an Assistant Chaplain at New Jersey Neuro Psychiatric Institute—dealt with patterns of schizophrenic speech. He was awarded a Ph.D. in anthropology from the University of Connecticut  in 1981. His dissertation advisors were Seth Leacock, Dennison J. Nash, and Ronald M. Wintrob. Glazier served as book review editor of the journal Anthropology of Consciousness. He was elected for two terms as President of the Society for the Anthropology of Consciousness. In addition, he served as Vice-President and Secretary of the Society for the Anthropology of Religion. SAR and as a Council Member and as Secretary of the Society for the Scientific Study of Religion.
- Stephen D. Glazier and Charles A. Flowerday, editors. 2003. Selected Readings in the Anthropology of Religion: Theoretical and Methodological Essays. Westport, CT: Praeger.
- Andrew S. Buckser and Stephen D. Glazier, editors. 2003. The Anthropology of Religious Conversion. Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield.
- Stephen D. Glazier, general editor. 2001. The Encyclopedia of African and African American Religions New York and London: Routledge.
- Stephen D. Glazier, editor. 1999. Anthropology of Religion: A Handbook. Westport, CT: Praeger.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 1991. Marchin' the Pilgrims Home: A Study of Spiritual Baptists of Trinidad. Salem, WI: Sheffield Publishing
- Stephen D. Glazier, editor. 1985. Caribbean Ethnicity Revisited. New York and London: Gordon and Breach.
- Stephen D. Glazier, editor. 1980. Perspectives on Pentecostalism: Case Studies from the Caribbean and Latin America. Lanham, MD: University Press of America
- Stephen D. Glazier 1980. Spiritual Baptist Music of Trinidad; Recorded in Trinidad by Stephen D. Glazier. FE 4234. New York: Folkways Record and Service Corp. (Re-issued in 1991 by The Smithsonian Institution).
- Stephen D. Glazier and Carol R. Ember. 2018. “Religion” in C. R. Ember, editor and compiler. Explaining Human Culture. New Haven, CT: Human Relations Area Files http://hraf.yale.edu/ehc/summaries/religion
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2018. "From Dissection to Discernment: Edie Turner, Victor Turner and Jonathan Edwards on the Ontological Status of Spirits." The Intellectual Legacy of Victor and Edith Turner. Frank A. Salamone and Marjorie M. Snipes, editors. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, pp. 35-53.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2018. "An Ethnography of a Vodu Shrine in Southern Togo: Of Spirit, Slave and Sea, by Eric J. Montgomery and Christian N. Vannier. Religion 48(4): 734-737.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2018. "Edith L. B. Turner (1921-2016)." American Anthropologist 120 (1): 186-189.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2017. "World Rastafarianism and Challenges to the Status of the Rasta Woman." Chapter 12. Religious Encounters in Transcultural Society. David W. Kim, editor. Lanham. MD: Lexington Books, pp 223-238.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2017. "Dreams and Dream Interpretations." Culture and Customs of the Yoruba. edited by Toyin Falola and Akintunder Akinyemi. Austin, TX and Ibadan, Nigeria: Pan-African University Press, pp. 379-387.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2016. "Foreword to the Chase." Chasing Religion in the Caribbean: Ethnographic Journeys from Antigua to Trinidad, by Peter J. Marina. New York and London: Palgrave, pp. vii-xv.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2016. “Yoruba Color Symbolism” in The Encyclopedia of the Yoruba. Toyin Falola and A. Akinyemi, editors. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press, pp. 71-72.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2015. "Pilgrimages in the Caribbean: A Comparison of Cases from Haiti and Trinidad’. In Religion, Pilgrimage, and Tourism, edited by Alex Norman, Carole M. Cusack. New York and London: Routledge.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2015. “Conduits, Barriers, and Interaction Spheres: Re-Thinking the Island of Trinidad in the Guiana Cultural Area.” Proceedings of the 25th International Congress for Caribbean Archaeology. Laura Del Olmo, editor. San Juan, Puerto Rico: Instituto de Cultura Puertorriguena, pp. 379-394
- Noel Titus and Stephen D. Glazier. 2014. "Grenada" Worldmark Encyclopedia of Religious Practices. Thomas Riggs, editor. Gale Research, vol. 3, pp.13–18.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2013. "Sango Healers and Healing in the Caribbean." Chapter 7 in Caribbean Healing Traditions: Implications for Health and Mental Health. Patsy Sutherland. Roy Moodley, and Barry Chavannes editors. New York and London: Routledge. pp.89–100.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2013. "Rastafarianism" in Encyclopedia of Race and Racism. 2nd edition. Patrick L. Mason, editor. New York: Macmillan Reference, pp. 472–474.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2012. "Religious Developments in the Caribbean Between 1865 and 1945" in The Cambridge History of Religions in America. Vol. II: Religions in America, 1790-1945. Stephen J. Stein, editor. New York and London: Cambridge University Press, pp.727–748.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2011. "Anthropology and Religious Belief" in The Anthropology of Religion: Critical Concepts in Religious Studies. Phillips Stevens Jr, and Denice J. Szafran, editors. New York and London: Routledge, volume I, pp.32–37.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2011. "Aruba" (pp. 61–63), "Bahamas" (pp. 107–108), "Barbados" (pp.117–118), "Jamaica" (pp. 613–614), and "Martinique" (II, pp.749–750, with C. M. Dietrich) in Encyclopedia of Global Religion. Mark Jurgensmeyer and Wade Clark Roof, editors. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Reference.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2010. “Health and Illness” (with Mary J. Hallin) in 21st Century Anthropology, H. James Birx, editor. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Reference, volume 2, pp. 925-935.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2009. "Understanding Caribbean Religions" (with Leslie G. Desmangles and Joseph M. Murphy). Chapter 10 in Understanding the Contemporary Caribbean. 2nd edition. Richard S. Hillman and Thomas J. D'Agostino, editors. Boulder, CO and London: Lynne Rienner, pp. 289-338.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2009. “African Diaspora, Bible in the Music of” (pp. 512-516) in Encyclopedia of the Bible and Its Reception, edited by Hermann Spleckemann, Choon Leong Seow, Hans-Joseph Klauck, Paul Mendes-Flohr, Bernard McGinn, and Eric Ziolkoeski. Berlin: Walter de Gruyter
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2009. "Wither Sango?: An Inquiry into Sango's 'Authenticity' and Prominence in the Caribbean." in Sango in Africa and the African Diaspora. Joel E. Tishken, Toyin Falola, and A. Akinyemi, editors. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, pp. 233-247.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2009. “The Anthropological Study of Religion" (pp. 24-39) in The World’s Religions: Continuities and Transformations. Peter B. Clarke and Peter Beyer, editors. New York and London: Routledge, pp. 24-39.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2012. Member/Acting Chair, Ph. D. dissertation defense committee, Mary J. Hallin, Geography and Indigenous Studies, University of Nebraska-Lincoln:"Collaboration between Traditional and Biomedical Practitioners in the Bui Division, Cameroon."Committee: Patricia Draper, Robert Hitchcock, Stephen D. Glazier, Doug Amedeo.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2012. Member, Ph. D. dissertation defense committee, Christopher R. H. Garneau, Sociology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln: "Perceived Stigma and Stigma Management of Midwest Seculars."
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2009. Outside member, Ph. D. dissertation committee: Tamasin Ramsay, Monash University, Victoria, Australia: "Custodians of Purity: An Ethnography of the Brahman Kumaris."
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2011. Chair, MA thesis committee, Anthropology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Don Arp Jr: "The Aputu: An Examination and Analysis of a War Club Form Distinctive to the Guianas."
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2014. Member, MA thesis committee, Anthropology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln: “Emerging from the Shadows: Civil War, Human Rights, and Peace-building among Peasants and Indigenous Peoples in Colombia and Peru in the Late 20th and Early 21st Centuries,” by Charles A. Flowerday. Martha McCollough, Chair.
- Stephen D. Glazier. 2005. Member, MA thesis committee, Anthropology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Gwendolyn K. Meister: “A Passion for the Work: A Study of Decision-Making and Public Folklorists' Careers.” Patricia Draper, Chair.