Stephen Beresford (born c. 1972) is an English actor and writer. He is best known for writing the play The Last of the Haussmans, produced by the National Theatre in 2012, and the 2014 motion picture Pride, which won the Queer Palm award at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival.
|Alma mater||Royal Academy of Dramatic Art|
|The Last of the Haussmans|
In a 2012 review, Kate Kellaway of The Observer wrote: "It is with disbelief that one discovers that The Last of the Haussmans is actor Stephen Beresford's first play. It is a knockout – entertaining, sad and outrageous. If he has more of this quality to write, he is going to be a major name."
Beresford has said that when working on screenplays, he always looks for projects with an "element of subversion" in them, so that he can find ways to smuggle in messages and meaning.
He was a new entry in 2014 to the Independent on Sunday's Rainbow List at number 17.
Awards and nominationsEdit
- Kellaway, Kate (30 August 2014). "When miners and gay activists united: the real story of the film Pride". The Observer.
Now 42, Beresford started out as an actor but is also author of The Last of the Haussmans, an exuberantly accomplished debut at the National in 2012.
- "The Last of the Haussmans, a new play by Stephen Beresford". National Theatre. 2012. Archived from the original on 4 August 2012.
- von Metzke, Ross (26 September 2014). "Pride & Glory: An unlikely alliance between a group of gay and lesbian activists and striking miners makes for one of the year's most inspiring films". The Advocate.
- Mainwaring, Rachel (6 September 2014). "Love and Pride; When Writer Stephen Beresford Heard about an Unlikely Alliance between a Gay and Lesbian Group and a South Wales Mining Community during the Miners' Strike, He Was Determined to Share Their Remarkable Story. He Tells Rachel Mainwaring How Proud He Is of His Latest British Film, Pride". Western Mail. – via Questia Online Library (subscription required)
- Kellaway, Kate (23 June 2012). "The Last of the Haussmans; The Match Box; Minsk, 2011: A Reply to Kathy Acker – review". The Observer.
- Shulman, Randy (9 October 2014). "Pride Rising: Screenwriter Stephen Beresford on the exhilarating new film that celebrates an historic event which paved the way for the rights of gays and lesbians in Britain", Metro Weekly,
- Abbott, HEC (12 September 2014). "Star-studded movie written by Dartmouth man hits cinema screens". Herald Express.
- "Stephen Beresford – Playwright", By The Dart magazine, May 2013.
- "Stephen Beresford meets Islay Bell-Webb". BAFTA Guru. 23 September 2015. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "Rainbow List 2014, 1 to 101 – The Rainbow list – People", The Independent (9 November 2014)
- Fleming Jr, Mike (July 24, 2017). "Dome Karukoski To Helm J.R.R. Tolkien Biopic". Deadline. Retrieved July 24, 2017.
- "Bafta Film Awards 2015: Winners". BBC News. Retrieved 8 February 2015.
- Stephen Beresford on IMDb
- Beresford, Stephen (30 August 2014). "Stephen Beresford: How I turned the miners' strike into a gay comedy, Pride". The Times.