Stephen B. Oates
Oates wrote 16 books during his career, all following the same theme, biographies of 19th-century American historical figures. He was accused of plagiarism in his biography of Abraham Lincoln, but was cleared by the University of Massachusetts and the American Historical Association. Oates received the 1993 Nevins-Freeman Award of the Chicago Civil War Round Table for his historical work on the American Civil War.
Let the Trumpet Sound; The Life of Martin Luther King Jr. received the Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice and Human Rights 1983 Book award presented annually to the book that "most faithfully and forcefully reflects Robert Kennedy's purposes – his concern for the poor and the powerless, his struggle for honest and even-handed justice, his conviction that a decent society must assure all young people a fair chance, and his faith that a free democracy can act to remedy disparities of power and opportunity."
Books by Stephen B. OatesEdit
|Booknotes interview with Oates on Approaching Fury: Voices Of The Storm, 1820–1861, April 27, 1997, C-SPAN|
|Presentation by Oates on Whirlwind Of War: Voices Of The Storm, 1861–1865 at the Lincoln Forum, November 18, 1997, C-SPAN|
- A Woman Of Valor: Clara Barton And The Civil War, 1994
- The Fires Of Jubilee: Nat Turner's Fierce Rebellion, 1975
- With Malice Toward None: A Life Of Abraham Lincoln, 1977
- Abraham Lincoln: The Man Behind The Myths, 1984 (paperback reprint 2011)
- Let The Trumpet Sound: The Life Of Martin Luther King, Jr., 1982
- Approaching Fury: Voices Of The Storm, 1820–1861, 1997
- Whirlwind Of War: Voices Of The Storm, 1861–1865, 1998. HarperCollins. 1999. ISBN 978-0-06-093092-9.
- Confederate Cavalry West Of The River, 1961
- Our Fiery Trial: Abraham Lincoln, John Brown, And The Civil War Era, 1979
- Biography as High Adventure: Life-Writers Speak on Their Art, 1986
- Biography as History, 1990
- America Through the Eyes of an Artisan
- Portrait of America : From Before Columbus to the End of Reconstruction (2 vols., 7th edition), 1999
- To Purge This Land With Blood: A Biography of John Brown, 1970
- William Faulkner: The Man and the Artist, 1987
- The Ravages of War
- Visions of Glory: Texans on the Southwestern Frontier, 1970
- The Republic of Texas, 1968
- Rip Ford's Texas, 1963
- "History News Network – I Stood Accused of Plagiarism". Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- "History News Network – Michael Burlingame's Response to Stephen Oates". Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- "The Civil War Round Table of Chicago – Annual Nevins Freeman Award". Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- . RFKcenter.org https://web.archive.org/web/20150619072045/http://rfkcenter.org/book-award?lang=en. Archived from the original on 2015-06-19. Missing or empty