Stef Lang (born Stephanie Jane Lang, December 30, 1988) is a Canadian singer, songwriter, and producer who resides in New York City. Originally from the Vancouver Island town of Ladysmith, BC, Lang left home at 17 to move to Vancouver, BC and pursue her musical career. Lang, often booking her own shows, played every pub, bar, club and café she could, while honing her songwriting craft and interning at a recording studio where she learned how to produce. Known for engaging performances and edgy lyrics, Lang released her first full-length album, The Underdog, in May 2010, distributed by Hipjoint Music/Universal Music Canada. Her hit single, Mr. Immature achieved mainstream success when it peaked at #5 on The Billboard Chart for Canadian Emerging Artists. Lang is known for her vocal feature on Canadian radio hit "Rollin" by Toronto's rapper ISH, which was released via Warner Music Group in 2012. In 2013, her vocals were featured on "Last Chance" by EDM artist Kaskade from his Grammy nominated album Atmosphere. Lang also co-wrote and was featured on the song "All These Wounds" by EDM artist Ilan Bluestone and BT, which was released May 25, 2015 on the Anjunabeats Worldwide05 Compilation. Lang's third full-length album "Arrows" is a two part EP series entirely self-recorded and produced from her home studio. Arrows Pt. 1 was released October 27, 2015 gaining press from reputable blogs including Galore Magazine, All Things Go, Pop Matters among others. Arrows Pt. 2 is set to release August 16, 2016.
Stef Lang Live in NYC, 2015
|Birth name||Stephanie Jane Lang|
December 30, 1988 |
Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
|Origin||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, Songwriter, Producer, Performer|
|Labels||Universal, Nettwerk One/ H-Songs, Hipjoint Productions|
Lang was born on December 30, 1988 in Nanaimo, British Columbia. She is the youngest of three children and is a mixed heritage of German and Filipino. Her parents divorced when she was 5, which is also when she started taking singing lessons. Lang and her two siblings were raised by their father who had a career as a land developer and home builder. Lang's childhood was spent relocating to various homes her father was building to sell. Eventually they settled in Ladysmith in 1998.
Lang recalls writing letters to her mother during the separation as a way of comforting her through the divorce and credits this event as the reason she became a writer. By age 8, Lang was journaling daily. Lang has kept a journal every year of her life.
By age 14, Lang had taught herself to play guitar, piano and was also taking dancing and acting lessons. She began developing her interest in songwriting and found inspiration from artists like Tegan and Sara, Ani DiFranco, and Joni Mitchell. Lang began performing in local talent competitions, music festivals and school plays.
While still in high school, Lang recorded two independent albums at a small recording studio on Vancouver Island. For her CD release, she organized a benefit concert to raise money for her town's Food Bank. She has also landed acting roles in TV commercials for Radio Disney and Hasbro's E-Kara karaoke system performing alongside Jamie Lynn Spears. At 16, Lang played the role of a pregnant teen who is physically abused in an independent film called 'Cable Beach'.
In the spring of 2006, Lang won The Beat Music Awards, a talent competition hosted by Vancouver’s #1 Hit Music Station The Beat 94.5. She won a four-song recording deal with Hipjoint Productions.
After graduation, Lang moved to Vancouver where Hipjoint Productions offered her an internship in the studio to learn more about the music industry. She spent this time honing her songwriting skills and learning how to run the studio.
Lang worked part-time at a local grocery store as a check out clerk while performing at clubs like The Roxy, The Railway Club, The Media Club, The Bourbon, The Main, and The Rusty Gull. She also worked odd jobs as a cashier, retail sales clerk, server, hostess and as an extra on film sets.
At 18, Lang suffered from severe depression and anxiety, stopping her ability to write or perform for 6 months. Lang continued an abusive relationship which ended up inspiring songs for her debut album.
Within 4 years, Lang had written over 250 songs and had recorded them as ‘Volumes’ at Hipjoint Productions. 2 EP’s were released, titled ‘Birth’ and ‘Blood and Bravery’. To date there are twenty volumes of original music acoustically recorded by Stef Lang and head engineer Phil Lehmann.
In the spring of 2009, Lang penned a publishing deal with Nettwerk One/H-Songs, who launched the careers of Sarah McLachlan and Coldplay. Nettwerk is home to world-renowned artists Sarah McLachlan, Shania Twain, Avril Lavigne, Chantal Kreviazuk, k-os, Shawn Desman, Raine Maida, Barenaked Ladies, and Sum 41.
In 2010, her debut album "The Underdog" earned her two Canadian Radio Music Award Nominations (HOT AC & CHR) for her single "Mr. Immature". The Album was also nominated for "Pop Album Of The Year" at the Western Canadian Music Awards. Her follow-up single "Slave 2 Love" was dubbed the most added song in Canadian Radio that year.
Lang toured the country in a 15-passenger cargo van with band members, often camping roadside to make meals and sleeping overnight in Walmart parking lots.
Her single, "Paper Doll", was released to Canadian radio stations in February 2012. Both the single and the EP, Fighting Mirrors, which includes the pop anthem, were made available for free digital download on her website. Lang’s album "Self" was her first self-produced project and was voted one of Canada’s Top 15 Albums of 2012.
In 2013, Lang toured in Canadian high schools to raise awareness against bullying. Her performances were given to help students dealing with depression and anxiety. On tour, Lang spent time individually with students who were suicidal.
October 2013, Lang moved to New York City. After steady writing sessions and writing trips, Lang released an EP called "Rubix" in 2014 that features collaborators with New York writers and a co-write with Canadian songwriter Dan Hill. Prior to the release, Lang left her publishing deal with Nettwerk One Music.
Lang's upcoming 2015 album "Arrows" will be released in two parts as a two part EP series. Lang wrote and produced the entire project.
- "All These Wounds" - Ilan Bluestone, BT, Stef Lang
- "Dust In Gravity" - Delerium ft. Kreesha Turner - #1 Dance Billboard Chart US 
- "What R U Doin 2 Me" - Featured on YTV's The Next Star Performed by Michaelah Weekes
- "All For You" - Lexi Strate
- "Turning Point" - Lexi Strate 
- "Unstoppable" - Lexi Strate
- "All Or Nothing" - Invalyd
- "Do It' - Performed by Nissita Francis on YTV's The Next Star Season 7 (2014)
- "All These Wounds" - Ilan Bluestone & BT (Ft. on Anjunabeats Worldwide05)
- "One More Step" - Ailee (From her album "Vivid")
Film & TV Song PlacementsEdit
- "Paper Doll" - LA Complex Episode 212
- "Bullet Train" - Degrassi Episode 1217
- "Diamonds" - Degrassi Episode (Love Lockdown Part2)
- "Straitjacket" - Degrassi Episode (In Your Eyes) Season 9 Ep. 18
- "All For You" - Degrassi Episode 1311
- "Overdrive" - Degrassi Episode 1326
- "Vulnerable" - Rookie Blue Episode 11
- "Wild Heart" - Vanderpump Rules Season 3
- "All This Time" - The Best Years, TV Series
- "You Make Me Wanna Fly" - Delta Airlines
- "Give a Little Bit" - CTV BC "Making a Difference" Campaign
- "Going Places" - Beauty And The Beast #308
- "Last Chance" - Kaskade - Grammy nominated album Atmosphere
- "Rollin" - Ish (Ft. Stef Lang) - Warner Music Group
- "Consciousness of Love" - Delerium - Music Box Opera
- "Chrysalis Heart" - Delerium - Music Box Opera
- "All These Wounds" - Ilan Bluestone & BT (Ft. on Anjunabeats Worldwide05)
- "Forever" - Wizdom - off the album, "The Next Step" 
- 2009 - Canadian Music Cafe during TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival)
- 2010 - NXNE (North by Northeast) (Toronto)
- 2010 - CMJ (College Music Journal) (New York)
- 2011 - Canadian Radio Music Awards (Toronto)
- 2011 - S.L. Feldman & Associates Showcase at Canadian Music Week (Toronto)
- 2013 - S.L. Feldman & Associates Showcase & CMF Acoustic Session at Canadian Music Week (Toronto)
- Lang has opened for K'naan, Fefe Dobson, Simple Plan, Ron Sexsmith, Matt Good, Shawn Desman, Sum 41 among other acts
- 2004: Stephanie Lang (independent debut release, full-length CD)
- 2005: Music in Me (independent release, full-length CD)
- 2010: The Underdog (first commercial release, full-length album)
- 2012: Self (Full-Length CD, Solo Project written, recorded and produced by Lang)
- 2008: Birth
- 2009: Blood & Bravery
- 2012: The Fighting Mirrors
- 2014: RUBIX
- 2015: Arrows Pt. 1 
- 2016: Arrows Pt. 2
|2012||"Paper Doll"||The Fighting Mirrors|
|2015||"Burn It To The Ground" ||Arrows (Pt. 1)|
|2015||"Validation" ||Arrows (Pt. 1)|
|2016||"Warrior Face" ||Arrows (Pt. 2)|
|2016||"Not Alright" ||Arrows (Pt. 2)|
- Featured In
|Year||Song title||Credits||Album or EP|
|2012/13||"Rollin'"||iSH featuring Stef Lang||iSH EP Up & Up|
- "Mr. Immature" - Hit #5 on The Billboard Chart for Canadian Emerging Artist
- "Slave2Love" - American Music Chart - CANADA: HOT AC as well as hit #12 on Mainstream Radio
- "Castle in the Cloud" - Canadian Music Blog's Top 20 Songs of 2012
- Album Self - Canadian Music Blog's Top 15 Albums of 2012
- "Rollin" Ish - 2012 - Canadian Hot 100 Peaked at #59 
- "Paper Doll" - 2012 - #1 Most Added Song in Canadian Radio
Awards and nominationsEdit
- "Stef Lang". Virginradiobestofbc.com. 2010-05-04. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "Stef Lang Concerts in Toronto, Kingston, Ottawa | September 2010 Canadian Tour". Torontofilipino.com. 2010-08-22. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "Stef Lang | Hipjoint Music Group". Hipjointproductions.net. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "Nanaimo News Bulletin - Hard work paying off for central-Island born songwriter - Mobile Edition". Bclocalnews.com. 2010-08-25. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "Stef Lang". Nettwerk. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "Milk Music - Stef Lang Sings on Kaskade’s Grammy Nominated Album". milkmusic.ca. 2014-01-29. Retrieved 2015-06-01.
- "Ilan Bluestone Bt All These Wounds Feat Stef Lang Mp3". mp3lio.com. 2015. Retrieved 2015-06-01.
- Mirchandani, Amar (2015-05-21). "Get Acquainted With A Singer And Songwriter; Stef Lang". 604 Now. Retrieved 2015-06-01.
- Sensitive, Wonky (2016-08-02). "Stef Lang - Warrior Face". Wonky Sensitive. Retrieved 2016-08-06.
- Nov 05, 2007 (2007-11-05). "Stephanie Lang photo 20071105112727 Stephanielang's Profile Photos - Buzznet". Stephanielang.buzznet.com. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "Hipjoint Music Group is a collective network of producers, artists, and songwriters dedicated to making world class CHR driven music". Hipjointproductions.net. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "Stef Lang". Facebook.
- "Songs From Degrassi Showdown: Week 4". Teen Nick. August 23, 2012.
- "iTunes - Music - Birth by Stephanie Lang". Itunes.apple.com. 2008-11-12. Retrieved 2012-05-07.
- "CTV British Columbia - Stephanie Lang - CTV News". Ctvbc.ctv.ca. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "Music - Beauty And The Beast". The CW. 2016. Retrieved 2016-08-06.
- Lang, Stef (2010-04-04). "The Official Stef Lang Blog: Western Canada Tour Dates". Steflang.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "Stef Lang @ CMJ 2010". Canadian Blast. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "NOMINATIONS ANNOUNCED FOR THE 2011 CANADIAN RADIO MUSIC AWARDS | 2013 Canadian Music Week • March 20-24, 2013". Cmw.net. Retrieved 2012-05-07.
- "Stef Lang Hits the Bullseye With Arrows". Canadian Music Blog. 2015-10-28. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- "Get Acquainted With A Singer And Songwriter; Stef Lang". 604 Now. 2015-05-15. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- "Stef Lang - 'ARROWS Part 1' (EP stream) (premiere)". Pop Matters. 2015-10-22. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- "PREMIERE: WATCH STEF LANG "BURN IT TO THE GROUND"". galore mag. 2016-01-08. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- "Stef Lang - Lens Of You". Wonky Sensitive. 2015-10-27. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- "STEF LANG VALIDATION". All Things Go. 2015-08-10. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- "Stef Lang - Validation". Wonky Sensitive. 2015-08-16. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- "Stef Lang Isn't Searching for 'Validation'". Next 2 Shine. 2015-08-26. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- "Stef Lang – "Warrior Face" (single premiere)". The Revue. 2016-08-01. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- "Arrows, Pt. 2 - EP". iTunes. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- "Stef Lang". Nettwerk. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "AMERICA'S MUSIC CHARTS - 0 1 . 1 1 . 1 1 - powered by MEDIABASE". Americasmusiccharts.com. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "•Promo Only Canada Music Supply•". Promoonlycanada.com. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "Stef Lang Releases Rubix". Canadian Music Blog. August 26, 2014.
- "iSH’s Stature Is On the Up & Up". 2014-04-04. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- "Canadian Radio Music Awards | 2011 Canadian Music Week". Cmw.net. Retrieved 2011-01-14.
- "TicketWeb - Order Tickets for STEF LANG + BROWN PAPER BAG (Eri". Ticketweb.ca. 2012-04-24. Retrieved 2012-05-07.
- "Breakout West Announces Nominees For The Western Canadian Music Awards". vanmusic.ca. 2011-07-03. Retrieved 2015-06-10.