State of the Nation Address (South Africa)
The State of the Nation Address of the President of South Africa (abbreviated SONA) is an annual event in the Republic of South Africa, in which the President of South Africa reports on the status of the nation, normally to the resumption of a joint sitting of Parliament (the National Assembly and the National Council of Provinces).
The speech marks the opening of the parliamentary year and is usually attended by important political and governmental figures of South Africa, including former Presidents, the Chief Justice of the Constitutional Court and other members of the judiciary, the Governor of the Reserve Bank, and Ambassadors and Diplomats to the Republic.
The 2008 SoNA marked the first address after the ousting of South African President Thabo Mbheki as President of the African National Congress (ANC) by former South African Deputy President Jacob Zuma, and also the absence of both former Presidents Nelson Mandela and FW de Klerk and their respective spouses.
Titles in South African Official LanguagesEdit
Because the Republic of South Africa has 11 Official languages, the State of the Nation Address is made available, either automatically or by request, in all of the official languages and published on the website of the Government Communications and Information Service (GCiS).
- Afrikaans: Staatsrede van die President van Suid-Afrika
- English: State of the Nation Address of the President of South Africa
- isiNdebele: Ikulumo yesiTjhaba kaMongameli weSewula Afrika
- isiXhosa: INtetho yeLizwe kaMongameli waseMzantsi Afrika
- isiZulu: Inkulumo Kamongameli Wase Ningizimu Afrika Yesimo Sezwe
- Sepedi: Polelo ya Setšhaba ka Mopresidente wa Afrika Borwa
- Sesotho: Puo ya Mopresident wa Afrika Borwa
- Setswana: Puo ya Maemo a Setšhaba ka Moporesitente wa Aforika Borwa
- Siswati: Inkulumo leyetfulelwa sive ngumengameli weleNingizimu Afrika
- Tshivenda: Mulaedza wa Lushaka wa Muphuresidennde wa Afrika Tshipembe
- Xitsonga: Mbulavulo wo Pfula Palamende lowu endliweke hi Phuresidente wa Afrika Dzonga
- State of the Nation Address Speeches at the GCiS
- Official web page of the 2017 SONA
- The 2017 SoNA will be streamed live on the Parliament’s website on 9 February 2017 at 19h00 and broadcast live on a number of television and radio stations.
- Page listing previous SONAs
|This article about South African politics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|