California Department of Justice(Redirected from State of California Department of Justice)
- Division of Law Enforcement, which has several bureaus that investigate crimes, maintain crime suppression programs/task forces, and support other law enforcement agencies including:
- Bureau of Investigation, which provides statewide expert investigative services through special agents combating multi-jurisdictional criminal organizations, and also operates several programs including a special investigations team, a special operations unit, LA CLEAR, and the state anti-terrorism program.
- Bureau of Firearms, which "is responsible for identifying individuals who are ineligible to acquire or possess firearms" and other weapons
- Bureau of Gambling Control, which "regulates legal gambling activities"
- Bureau of Forensic Services
- Bureau of Medi-Cal Fraud & Elder Abuse
- Division of California Justice Information Services, which "facilitates the exchange of criminal justice intelligence among law enforcement agencies"
- Division of Civil Law, which "both prosecutes and defends civil actions"
- Division of Criminal Law, which "represent[s] the People of the State of California in criminal cases"
- Division of Public Rights, which is involved with "safeguarding the state's environmental and natural resources," "preventing fraudulent business practices," and other responsibilities
Besides its support of the California Attorney General's work, the Department is frequently mentioned in the newsmedia for (among other activities):
- Its laboratory work. For example, in the 1995 trial of O. J. Simpson, the lead forensic chemist from the Department testified that DNA tests on blood samples from inside Simpson's Bronco "were 'consistent with' tests on blood taken from Mr. Simpson, his former wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ronald L. Goldman".
- Its statistics, for example on weapons sales in California.
- Its assistance to local law enforcement agencies, for example a database that "cross-reference[s] criminal history and firearms possession information".
- California state government. The executive branch. 2008 Dec 18. Accessed 2008 Dec 29.
- California Department of Finance.  Accessed 2008 Dec 29.
- California Department of Justice. About the Department of Justice. Accessed 2009 Apr 26.
- Noble, Kenneth B. State scientist links blood in Simpson's Bronco to wife and friend. New York Times, May 18, 1995. Accessed 2008 Dec 29.
- Thompson, Don. Gun sales hit all-time low despite 9/11 spike. Ventura County Star, March 19, 2002.
- Computer disarms criminals - new database links guns and convictions. Daily News of Los Angeles, December 10, 2007.