Starwood Capital Group
Starwood Capital Group is an investment firm headquartered in Greenwich, Connecticut managed by Barry Sternlicht. It was co-founded by Barry Sternlicht and Robert Faith in 1991. In 1993, Faith left Starwood to found Greystar Real Estate Partners.
|Founded||Greenwich, Connecticut, United States|
|Barry Sternlicht, Chairman and CEO|
In 1991, at the age of 31, Sternlicht launched the firm to buy apartment buildings that were being sold by the Resolution Trust Corporation, created by the federal government to hold and liquidate the real estate assets owned by failed banks after the savings and loan crisis. Sternlicht was able to raise $20 million from the families of William Bernard Ziff, Jr. and Carter Burden of New York to fund these purchases.
In 2010, the firm lost a bankruptcy auction to buy Extended Stay Hotels. Starwood unsuccessfully filed an objection against the sale to Centerbridge Partners with the bankruptcy court in Manhattan.
In 2010, Starwood, a secured creditor, received a majority ownership stake in Riviera Holdings, owners of the Riviera hotel and casino in Las Vegas, Nevada and Riviera Black Hawk in Black Hawk, Colorado, after a bankruptcy reorganization.
In 2012, the company began construction on a chain of hotels under the name of Baccarat Hotels and Resorts which feature crystal chandeliers from Baccarat. In 2015, the firm sold its flagship Baccarat hotel in New York City.
In December 2013, Starwood Global Opportunity Fund IX, in partnership with Vencom, bought 7 retail properties from the Swedish retail group Kooperativa Förbundet for 3.9 billion Swedish kronor, or $593.3 million, and the properties were all sold in 2016 and 2017.
Between 2013 and 2014, Starwood acquired three British hospitality groups: De Vere Group for GB£232 million, Four-Pillars Hotels for GB£90 million, and Principal Hayley Group for GB£360 million.
In February 2014, Starwood Property Trust spun off Starwood Waypoint Residential Trust, a single-family rental real estate investment trust.
In January 2016, SWRT was merged with Colony American Homes in a $7.7 billion merger, creating Colony Starwood Homes.
In September 2017, Starwood announced it will invest $250 million in the specialist micro hotel group Yotel. It said it will acquire a 30 percent stake in Yotel in an effort to help drive the company's international expansion.
Notable real estate investmentsEdit
- Rosta, Paul (October 18, 2012). "Bob Faith's Mission to Buy, Build, Manage Drives Greystar". Commercial Property Executive.
- "Starwood Capital Group: Business".
- MCDOWELL, EDWIN (November 26, 1994). "Westin Hotel Co. to Be Sold To Starwood and Goldman". The New York Times.
- Goldfarb, Jeffrey (October 26, 2015). "Keep one eye on Sam Zell's "For Sale" sign". Reuters.
- WARNER, MELANIE (December 8, 1997). "HOW BARRY STERNLICHT BECAME THE KING OF HOTELS". Fortune Magazine.
- "Starwood Capital Group completes the sale of Groupe du Louvre and Louvre Hotels Group to Shanghai Jin Jiang International Hotels Development Co., Ltd" (Press release). PRNewswire. March 1, 2015.
- Magin, Janis L. (October 6, 2009). "Starwood Capital takes over failed Corus". American City Business Journals.
- Humer, Caroline (June 15, 2010). "Starwood fights Extended Stay sale to Centerbridge". Reuters.
- Green, Steve (July 13, 2010). "Starwood Capital involved in takeover of bankrupt Riviera". Las Vegas Sun.
- Karmin, Craig; Hudson, Kris (April 24, 2012). "Starwood's Crystal Vision". The Wall Street Journal.(subscription required)
- "Starwood Capital Group Sells Baccarat Hotel New York To Sunshine Insurance Group Affiliate" (Press release). PRNewswire. February 9, 2015.
- Barbanel, Josh (September 21, 2016). "Pierhouse Condos Take a Bow in Brooklyn Bridge Park". The Wall Street Journal.(subscription required)
- "Starwood Capital Group And Vencom Agree To Sell Retail Assets In Sweden" (Press release). PRNewswire. July 19, 2016.
- "Starwood Capital Group and Vencom Agree to Sell Retail Asset in Sweden" (Press release). PRNewswire. February 27, 2017.
- "Starwood Capital Group Acquires De Vere Venues" (Press release). PRNewswire. March 11, 2014.
- "Starwood Capital Group Acquires Four Pillars Hotels" (Press release). PRNewswire. January 16, 2014.
- "Starwood Capital Group Closes Transaction to Acquire Principal Hayley Group" (Press release). PRNewswire. February 27, 2013.
- "Starwood Property Trust Announces Completion of Spin-Off of Starwood Waypoint Residential Trust" (Press release). Business Wire. February 3, 2014.
- "Starwood Capital Group Enters Strategic Partnership To Help Develop AS Roma's New Stadium Campus" (Press release). PRNewswire. March 26, 2014.
- "Colony Starwood Homes Announces Closing of $7.7 Billion Merger of Starwood Waypoint Residential Trust with Colony American Homes, Creating the Premier Single-Family REIT" (Press release). Business Wire. January 5, 2016.
- "Taubman Completes Sale of Seven Malls to Starwood Capital Group" (Press release). PRNewswire. October 17, 2014.
- "Equity Residential Announces Closing of Sale of 23,262 Apartment Units to Starwood Capital Group for $5.365 Billion" (Press release). Business Wire. January 27, 2016.
- "Yotel Is Getting $250 Million From Starwood Capital to Fuel Expansion". Skift. September 26, 2017. Retrieved October 3, 2017.