Starlight Children's Foundation
Starlight Children's Foundation is a nonprofit organization founded in 1982 for hospitalized children and their families.
|Headquarters||Los Angeles, California|
|US, Canada, Australia and the UK|
Starlight programs offer entertainment, education and technology to critically, chronically and terminally ill children. These programs are provided directly to children through Starlight's network of more than 700 children's hospitals and other community health partners throughout North America. Starlight's US operations are based in Los Angeles, California. The charity has provided support to more than 60 million children in the US, Canada, Australia and the UK where it has additional office locations and programs.
Starlight Children's Foundation was founded in 1982 by actors Peter Samuelson and Emma Samms, who was inspired by her brother's death, at age 8, from aplastic anemia. Steven Spielberg serves as the organization's Chairman Emeritus. Starlight's current CEO is Adam Garone. Before Starlight, Adam was the co-founder and CEO of Movember Foundation.
The first-ever private social network, started in 1995 by filmmaker and Chairman Emeritus Steven Spielberg, Peter Samuelson and Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr. It served to connect chronically ill teenagers with life-threatening medical conditions, and their siblings, in a safe, online community where they could chat, blog, post content, and meet others who shared similar experiences. Starbright World was taken offline on August 31, 2015.
Awards and accomplishmentsEdit
In 2016, Starlight earned a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator, America's largest independent charity evaluator. Starlight is a gold-level GuideStar participant. Starlight is a CharityWatch Top Rated non-profit with an A rating.
- Bailee Madison
- Bob Saget
- Candace Cameron Bure
- Corbin Bleu
- Dave Koz
- Donatella Versace
- Hayley Hasselhoff
- Jamie Lee Curtis
- John Stamos
- Mckenna Grace
- Monique Coleman
- Paris Hilton and Nicky Hilton
- Penélope Cruz
- RJ Mitte
- Steven Spielberg
- Sierra McCormick
- Teri Hatcher
- Tony DiTerlizzi
Starlight partners with nearly 700 children's hospitals, hospice centers, outpatient homes and rehabilitation centers nationwide, including:
- Children's Hospital of Orange County
- Children's Hospital of Los Angeles
- Los Angeles County + USC Medical Center
- Mattel Children's Hospital in Los Angeles, California
- Miller Children's Hospital in Long Beach, California
- Florida Children's Hospital
- Grady Burn Center in Atlanta, Georgia
- Massachusetts General Hospital
- Duke Children's Hospital and Health Center in Durham, North Carolina
- Medical City Dallas Hospital
- Kennewick General Hospital in Kennewick, Washington
- Sacred Heart Children's Hospital in Spokane, Washington
Corporate partners and collaboratorsEdit
Starlight partners with brands and companies, charitable foundations, organizations and socially aware groups, and philanthropic individuals. Below are a list of a few corporate partners:
- "St. Mary's, Miller Children's Hospital Request Donations Through Charity Wish Lists" Long Beach Post. December 12, 2014.
- “Breaking Bad's RJ Mitte To Be Honored By Starlight Children's Foundation” Look To The Stars: The World of Celebrity Giving. July 2, 2014.
- "Dynasty's Emma Samms: My brother's death made me start Starlight Foundation" Metro UK. May 29, 2013.
- "Starlight Children's Foundation | CP Family Network". cpfamilynetwork.org. Retrieved 2017-06-01.
- "Movember CEO Takes Top Job at Starlight Children's Foundation (Transitions)". The Chronicle of Philanthropy. 2019-05-17. Retrieved 2019-05-22.
- "Georgetown Men's Basketball Helps Starlight Children's Foundation Grant Wish" Hoya Athletics. June 27, 2014.
- "Social Network Connects Kids, Teens With Special Needs" CBS Los Angeles. October 19, 2012.
- "Live to Give" Vancouver Canucks News. November 20, 2009.
- "Charity Navigator - Rating for Starlight Children's Foundation - Global Office". Charity Navigator. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "Starlight Children's Foundation - GuideStar Profile". www.guidestar.org. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "Starlight Children's Foundation (National Office) | Charity Ratings | America's Most Independent Charity Watchdog | CharityWatch". www.charitywatch.org. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "Bailee Madison Launches Holiday Giving Campaign". Look to the Stars. 2015-11-20. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "Celebrities Back Charity Video Game". Look to the Stars. 2007-09-24. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "GIVING BACK: It's a "FULL HOUSE" of Child Stars Old and New at Starlight Children's Foundation® 30th Anniversary & Wish List Launch! - Hollywood Mom Blog". Hollywood Mom Blog. 2013-09-27. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "Stars Design Charity T-Shirts For Starlight Children's Foundation". Look to the Stars. 2009-12-23. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "STARLIGHT CHILDREN'S FOUNDATION® RECEIVES A $100,000 DONATION FROM THE 2013 DAVE KOZ & FRIENDS CRUISERS - Dave Koz". Dave Koz. 2013-11-26. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "Penelope Cruz And Donatella Versace To Host Charity Gala". Look to the Stars. 2009-07-10. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "Exclusive Interview With Hayley Hasselhoff". Look to the Stars. 2009-05-20. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "Starlight Children's Foundation Hosts Dream Halloween 2016". Look to the Stars. 2016-10-28. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "Paris Hilton To Attend A Stellar Night Of Charity". Look to the Stars. 2011-03-25. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "Steven Spielberg To Be Awarded 2014 Lincoln Leadership Prize". Look to the Stars. 2014-01-29. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "Teri Hatcher And Tony DiTerlizzi Entertain Pediatric Patients At Children's Hospital Los Angeles". Look to the Stars. 2014-05-07. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "CHOC Children's Celebrates Starlight Fun Center Donation - CHOC Children's Blog". CHOC Children's Blog. 2010-07-15. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "Yoobi & Starlight Children's Foundation Give Event - Children's Hospital Los Angeles". Getty Images. Retrieved 2017-06-01.
- "Kids at LAC+USC Enjoy a VGo Robot | VGo robotic telepresence for healthcare, education and business". www.vgocom.com. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- Albin, Amy. "Young patients can now relax in newly remodeled teen lounge". UCLA Newsroom. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- GI Editors (2013-11-20). "Insomniac Games Partners with Starlight Children's Foundation Granting Hospital Wishes". Game-Insider.com. Retrieved 2017-01-09.CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
- "A 'Star Wars' Surprise: Mark Hamill Shocks Kids At Florida Children's Hospital". Inside Edition. Retrieved 2017-06-02.
- "Niagara Bottling donates $100,000 to Grady Hospital". The Newnan Times-Herald. Retrieved 2017-06-01.
- "Rolling out fun". Massachusetts General Hospital. Retrieved 2017-06-01.
- Foundation, Starlight Children's. "Colgate-Palmolive Awards Starlight Fun Centers(TM) to Hospitals Through Online Contest". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2017-06-01.
- "Nintendo and Starlight Children's Foundation Deliver More Fun to Hospitalized Children in Washington State | Business Wire". www.businesswire.com. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "Disney Salutes Starlight Children'S Foundation'S 20Th Anniversary - The Walt Disney Company". The Walt Disney Company. 2003-02-20. Retrieved 2017-06-02.
- "The Joy in Childhood Foundation℠ Announces Three Million Dollar Commitment to Starlight Children's Foundation and Feeding America®". MNN - Mother Nature Network. Retrieved 2017-06-02.
- Staff, WCPO (2015-07-12). "MLB, Reds team up to help with renovations at Children's Hospital". WCPO. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "Starlight Children's Foundation Launches Program to Revolutionize Children's Hospital Gowns". PRWeb. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "ETMC Trinity pediatric patients benefit from wagon donation - ETMC". ETMC. Retrieved 2017-06-02.