Stargirl is an upcoming American drama film based on the novel of the same name by Jerry Spinelli that is slated to debut on the upcoming Disney+ service. The film is directed by Julia Hart from a screenplay written by Kristin Hahn and stars Grace VanderWaal, Graham Verchere, Giancarlo Esposito, Karan Brar, Darby Stanchfield, and Maximiliano Hernández. The film is expected to be released in 2020.
|Directed by||Julia Hart|
|Screenplay by||Kristin Hahn|
by Jerry Spinelli
|Music by||Rob Simonsen|
|Distributed by||Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures|
Stargirl follows Stargirl Caraway, "a homeschooled teen who enrolls in an Arizona high school, altering the ecosystem of the student body with her nonconformity."
On July 15, 2015, it was announced that director Catherine Hardwicke was set to direct an adaptation of Jerry Spinelli's novel Stargirl for Walt Disney Pictures. The novel was adapted by Kristin Hahn who also set to produce the film. Production companies involved with the film were expected to include Gotham Group and BCDF Pictures, with the latter also financing the film.
On February 8, 2018, it was announced that a new iteration of the production had been developed and that it would now be directed by Julia Hart and produced by Walt Disney Pictures. The film was expected to premiere on Disney's then-unnamed upcoming streaming service that was set to launch in the fall of 2019. The following month, it was confirmed that the production was in the late stages of development, that Hahn's screenplay was still being utilized, and that she would continue to serve as a producer alongside the additions of Ellen Goldsmith-Vein and Lee Stollman. Production companies involved with the production were to include Gotham Group with the addition of Hahn's production company Hahnscape Entertainment. On June 5, 2018, it was further reported that Hart had polished the script with her husband Jordan Horowitz, who is also set to serve as an executive producer for the film.
On September 11, 2015, it was announced that the first iteration of the production would star Joey King and Charlie Plummer. King was cast as the titular Stargirl and Plummer as the boy who narrates the story. On June 5, 2018, it was announced that the Hart-directed iteration of the film would star singer Grace VanderWaal, in her debut acting role, as the title character. On August 21, 2018, it was reported that Graham Verchere had been cast in the co-lead role of Leo Borlock. On September 18, 2018, it was reported that Giancarlo Esposito, Karan Brar, Darby Stanchfield, and Maximiliano Hernández had been cast in supporting roles.
Filming for the first iteration of the production was scheduled to commence in the fall of 2015 in New Mexico. Principal photography for the second iteration of the production began in September 2018 in New Mexico and wrapped on November 16, 2018. Filming locations in the state included Albuquerque and Truth or Consequences.
- Tracy, Brianne. "Grace VanderWaal Says She Has to 'Fight for a Later Curfew' Like Any Other Teen Her Age", People, June 28, 2019
- Kroll, Justin (July 15, 2015). "'Twilight's' Catherine Hardwicke to Direct YA Novel Adaptation 'Stargirl' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved July 22, 2018.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (February 8, 2018). "Disney Unveils Inaugural Streaming Service Launch Slate To Town; No R-Rated Fare". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 22, 2018.
- Busch, Anita (March 2, 2018). "Female Directors Scorecard: Six Helmers Grace Disney's Upcoming Slate". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 22, 2018.
- Busch, Anita (June 5, 2018). "Grace VanderWaal, 'America's Got Talent' Champion, Is Disney's 'Stargirl'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 22, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (September 11, 2015). "Catherine Hardwicke's YA Movie 'Stargirl' Finds Its Stars (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 22, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (August 21, 2018). "Graham Verchere Set As Co-Lead Opposite Grace VanderWaal in Disney's 'Stargirl' Film". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 21, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (September 18, 2018). "'Breaking Bad' & 'Better Call Saul' Actor Giancarlo Esposito Joins Disney's 'Stargirl'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 18, 2018.
- Gomez, Adrian (September 24, 2018). "Disney's 'Stargirl' to film in New Mexico, starring Grace VanderWaal". Albuquerque Journal. Retrieved October 18, 2018.
- Harlow, Olivia (September 24, 2018). "Disney production to start filming in N.M." The Santa Fe New Mexican. Retrieved October 18, 2018.
- Steves, Ashley (October 12, 2018). "Now Casting: Disney Feature 'Stargirl' Needs Actors to Play Football Players and Marching Band Members + 3 More Gigs". Backstage. Retrieved October 18, 2018.
- O'Brien, Natalie (November 17, 2018). "Natalie X O'Brien 🇬🇧 on Instagram: "My heart grew a little bigger these last three months. We finished our magical Disney film last night #Stargirl Thank you @juliahartowitz for believing in me, in all of us. You leader you #loveyouallcastandcrew @lenkapadysakova you're my irreplaceable #costumedesign"". Instagram. Archived from the original on November 18, 2018. Retrieved November 18, 2018.