Star Ocean: Anamnesis
Star Ocean: Anamnesis[a] is a free-to-play role-playing video game developed by tri-Ace and published by Square Enix for Android and iOS devices. It was created in celebration of the Star Ocean series' 20th anniversary, and features characters from all previous titles in the franchise, as well as music from series composer Motoi Sakuraba. The game was released in Japan in December 2016, in North America in July 2018, and was released in other territories in October 2018.
|Star Ocean: Anamnesis|
|Programmer(s)||Hidenori Iwakiri (lead)|
Set in Space Date 539 (A.D 2625), the player controls the captain of the Pangalactic Federation starship GFSS-3214F, which was exploring deep space following the events of Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness two years earlier. After a surprise attack by pirates, the entire crew jettison the vessel in escape pods while the captain stays on board with only the AI robot Coro (voiced by Ryūsei Nakao). Making the decision to activate the ship's hyperspace drive, the warp fails and ends up sending them to a distant region of space outside the Federation's borders. While investigating a seemingly barren planet, they happen upon a mysterious woman being chased by a monster. The woman, named Evelysse (voiced by Sumire Uesaka), uses a powerful form of Symbology magic that allows her to summon warriors from throughout time, and manages to escape with the aid of her time-warped allies. After she joins the captain back on the ship, the course is set to return home to the incredibly distant Earth.
On October 14, 2016, Square Enix launched a website teasing a new game for iOS and Android devices. Three days later on October 17, it was revealed that the new title was Star Ocean: Anamnesis, and would feature characters seen in previous installments in the series. The company later launched an official website for the game providing the first details, preview trailer, and a tentative release date of 2016 in Japan. A representative on the game's official Twitter account later announced that it would feature "full 3D real-time action battles" and "HD graphics." Star Ocean: Anamnesis' release in 2016 was meant to coincide with the series' 20th anniversary. As with the other games in the Star Ocean series, the game's soundtrack was composed by Motoi Sakuraba, and features artwork by Akira Yasuda, character designer for Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness. The game's theme song is "Dakara Boku wa Fukou ni Sugatte Imashita" (だから僕は不幸に縋っていました, That's Why I Was Leaning on Unhappiness) by the band Kami-sama, Boku wa Kidzuite Shimatta (神様、僕は気づいてしまった, God, I Have Noticed). It was localized in English and released worldwide in July 2018.
- スターオーシャン：アナムネシス (Sutā Ōshan Anamuneshisu)
- Star Ocean Official Twitter Account (July 10, 2018). "We're excited to announce that STAR OCEAN: ANAMNESIS has officially launched on the App Store and the Google Play Store!". Square Enix. Retrieved July 14, 2018.
- Sato (October 18, 2016). "Star Ocean: Anamnesis Will Feature 4-Player Multiplayer". Siliconera. Retrieved October 23, 2016.
- Romano, Sal (October 19, 2016). "Star Ocean: Anamnesis teaser trailer, details, and screenshots". Gematsu. Retrieved October 23, 2016.
- Sato (October 14, 2016). "Square Enix Teases A New Smartphone Game With A Robot That Has Frieza's Voice". Siliconera. Retrieved October 23, 2016.
- Sato (October 17, 2016). "Star Ocean: Anamnesis Announced, Takes The Series On A Smartphone Voyage". Siliconera. Retrieved October 23, 2016.
- Romano, Sal (October 19, 2016). "Star Ocean: Anamnesis has full 3D real-time action battles". Gematsu. Retrieved October 23, 2016.
- "『スターオーシャン：アナムネシス』シリーズ最新作は最大4人でのマルチプレイ対応！" ["Star Ocean: Amanesis" Latest in the Series Multiplayer Support Up to 4 People!] (in Japanese). Famitsu. October 18, 2016. Retrieved October 23, 2016.
- Romano, Sal (October 18, 2016). "Star Ocean: Anamnesis has four-player multiplayer battles". Gematsu. Retrieved October 23, 2016.
- Romano, Sal (October 27, 2016). "Star Ocean: Anamnesis live stream set for November 19". Gematsu. Retrieved October 27, 2016.
- Sato. "Star Ocean: Anamnesis Headed Westward, Gets First Footage With English Dubs". Siliconera. Retrieved 2 June 2018.