The Stanovoy Range (Russian: Станово́й хребе́т, Stanovoy khrebet; Yakut: Сир кура; simplified Chinese: 外兴安岭; traditional Chinese: 外興安嶺; pinyin: Wài Xīng'ān Lǐng), is a mountain range located in the Sakha Republic and Amur Oblast, Far Eastern Federal District. It is also known as Sükebayatur and Sükhbaatar in Mongolian, Stanovoy Mountains, or Outer Khingan Range. The range was first studied and scientifically described by Russian researcher Alexander von Middendorff.
|Elevation||2,412 metres (7,913 ft)|
|Length||720 km (450 mi) SW/NE|
|Width||180 km (110 mi) NW/SE|
|Federal subject||Sakha Republic and Amur Oblast|
|Parent range||South Siberian Mountains|
|Type of rock||Shale, gneiss and granite intrusions|
The range runs roughly from west to east at the southern end of the Sakha Republic and the northern limit of Amur Oblast for roughly 700 kilometres (430 mi). It is bound by the Olyokma River in the west and the Uchur River in the east, which separates it from the Dzhugdzhur Range in Khabarovsk Krai to the east. The Aldan Highlands are located to the north of the eastern part of the range and the Olyokma-Chara Plateau to the northwest. The Yankan – Tukuringra – Soktakhan – Dzhagdy group of mountain ranges rise to the south and the Maya Range to the southeast.
The Stanovoy Range separates the watershed of the Arctic Ocean (basin of the Lena) from that of the Pacific Ocean (Amur basin). The range has many glaciers, which are among the main sources of the Lena. Rivers Maya and Timpton have their sources in the range. The Zeya has its sources in the Toko-Stanovik subrange located at the eastern end.
- География знаний. - Горы
- Stanovoy Range - article from the Great Soviet Encyclopedia.
- Melnikov A.V. Stanovoy Range, in Toponymic dictionary of the Amur region. - Blagoveshchensk: Khabarovsk book publishing house, 2009. - 232 p
- Pospelov E.M. Туристу о географических названиях. M .: Profizdat, 1988
- The Mountains of Southern Siberia
- Физическая география СССР - Ландшафтные области гор Южной Сибири - Байкальско-Становая область
- Gora Skalistyy Golets - Peak Visor
- Тимптон / Great Soviet Encyclopedia; in 35 vols. - Ch. ed.A.M. Prokhorov, 2004—2017.
- Kropotkin, Peter Alexeivitch; Bealby, John Thomas (1911). . Encyclopædia Britannica. Vol. 15 (11th ed.). p. 777.
- Stanovoi on Peakware