Stanley E. Porter
|Stanley E. Porter|
|Title||President, Dean and Professor of New Testament, McMaster Divinity College|
|Alma mater||University of Sheffield|
|Sub-discipline||New Testament studies, Koine Greek|
|Institutions||McMaster Divinity College|
He studied at Point Loma College, San Diego, (B.A.), Claremont Graduate School, Claremont, California (M.A.) Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Deerfield, Illinois (M.A.) and earned his Ph.D. at the University of Sheffield 1988. From 1994 he was Professor of Theology and Head of the Department of Theology and Religious Studies at Roehampton University, London. He is currently president, dean and professor of New Testament at McMaster Divinity College in Hamilton, Ontario, and senior editor of Journal of Greco-Roman Christianity and Judaism.
He is particularly noted for his works on verbal aspect in New Testament Greek. He is a proponent for Greek verbal aspect being regarded as a major semantic category in the analysis and exegesis of Greek texts, recognising three aspects: perfective, imperfective and stative. However he also is known for an approach that recognises the common Hellenistic heritage of many so-called semitic verb aspect uses in the New Testament, except where reference to the Septuagint is clear.
Andy Naselli notes that Porter "is the author or editor of publications on just about every significant area of NT studies."
- Porter, Stanley E. (1992). Idioms of the Greek New Testament. A&C Black. ISBN 9781850753797.
- ——— (1993). Verbal Aspect in the Greek of the New Testament, with Reference to Tense and Mood. Peter Lang. ISBN 9780820424231.
- ——— (1999). The Paul of Acts: Essays in Literary Criticism, Rhetoric, and Theology. WUNT. 115. Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck. ISBN 9783161471049.
- ——— (2004). Criteria For Authenticity In Historical-Jesus Research. London: T&T Clark. ISBN 9781841270890.
- ———; Fewster, Gregory P. (2013). Paul And Pseudepigraphy. Pauline Studies. Leiden: Brill. ISBN 9789004258471.
- ———; Pitts, Andrew W. (2015). Fundamentals Of New Testament Textual Criticism. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans. ISBN 9780802872241.
- ——— (2016). Sacred Tradition in the New Testament: Tracing Old Testament Themes in the Gospels and Epistles. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic. ISBN 978-0-801-03077-2.
- ———; Dyer, Bryan R. (2016). The Synoptic Problem: Four Views. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic. ISBN 9781493404452.
- ———; Adams, Sean A. (2016). Pillars In The History Of Biblical Interpretation, Volume I: Prevailing Methods Before 1980. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock. ISBN 9781498202367.
- ——— (2016). The Apostle Paul: His Life, Thought, And Letters. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans. ISBN 9781467445405.
- ———; O'Donnell, Matthew Brook (2017). Biblical And Ancient Greek Linguistics, Volume 6. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock. ISBN 9781532642654.
- ——— (2017). Inaugurations: Inaugural Lectures Delivered at McMaster Divinity College. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock. ISBN 9781532611353.
- Mcmaster.ca staff bio Archived 2007-11-12 at the Wayback Machine.
- IVP author biographical sketch Archived 2010-11-13 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Journal of Greco-Roman Christianity and Judaism". Retrieved 26 October 2013.
- Constantine Campbell Basics of Verbal Aspect in Biblical Greek 2008
- Chang-Wook Jung The original language of the Lukan infancy narrative 2004 Page 21 "Rejecting the argument for Semitic intervention upon the verbal aspect of NT Greek, Porter argues that only some examples of enhancement (which, according to Porter, points to the frequent occurrence of a construction that is rare in Greek, but increasingly used under the influence of Semitic literature) occur in Luke's writings."
- Naselli, Andrew David (2014). "Three Reflections on Evangelical Academic Publishing". Themelios. 39 (3): 432. Retrieved 11 August 2017.
- "Criteria For Authenticity In Historical-Jesus Research". 2004. Retrieved November 8, 2018.