Stand News (Chinese: 立場新聞) is a free, not-for-profit pro-democracy online news website based in Hong Kong, founded in December 2014 as the successor of House News. It primarily focuses on social and political issues in Hong Kong.
Type of site
|Available in||Traditional Chinese|
|Owner||Best Pencil (Hong Kong) Ltd.|
Stand News was founded after the closure of House News in July 2014. Instead of running the website as a limited company like House News, the owner company of the website, Best Pencil (Hong Kong) Limited, is legally managed by a trust company, while prohibiting any transfer of shares.
On 24 August, 2018, former Chief Executive of Hong Kong Leung Chun-ying filed for defamation against university professor Chung Kim-wah and Stand News in the High Court, alleging that an article in the website associated Leung with the triads is false. The article reported a dinner between Leung’s aides and alleged triad members. Chung responded that he would not retract the article, while Stand News chief editor Chung Pui-kuen stated that he does not believe that the article defamed Leung, and also invited Leung to write an article to Stand News.
On 21 July, 2019, in the Yuen Long attack incident, the counteraction protest against the anti-extradition bill protests, reporter Gwyneth Ho was attacked during her live-stream report. When the attackers were attacking commuters, some members turned to attack Ho. She was knocked over and hit by sticks and wooden batons, while continued filming. The news website later reported that she was taken to the hospital for treatment and received stitches.
- Lam, Apple (2014-12-18). "House News founder Tony Tsoi forms new company Best Pencil". Marketing Interactive. Retrieved 2019-07-27.
- Chan, Holmes (2018-08-24). "Ex-leader CY Leung sues Stand News and university professor for defamation". Hong Kong Free Press HKFP. Retrieved 2019-07-27.
- Cheng, Kris (2018-08-16). "Ex-chief exec. CY Leung sends legal letters demanding Stand News and scholar retract article". Hong Kong Free Press HKFP. Retrieved 2019-07-27.
- "CY Leung files libel suit against professor and online news portal". South China Morning Post. 2018-08-24. Retrieved 2019-07-27.
- "Hong Kong journalist live streams being attacked at train station". CNA. Retrieved 2019-07-27.
- "元朗惡煞群毆記者市民 《立場》記者雙手、右肩、背部受傷 需留院觀察 | 立場報道 | 立場新聞". 立場新聞 Stand News. Retrieved 2019-07-27.
- Official website (in Chinese)