A philatelic exhibition is an exhibition of stamps and postal history where stamp collectors (philatelists) compete for medals. The displays are shown in glass frames, and the exhibition is normally accompanied by stamp dealer bourses and post office stands where stamps and other philatelic items may be purchased.
Many philatelic exhibitions are regular events, held annually or at some other frequency and they are important events in the philatelic calendar.
Types of exhibitionEdit
The most prestigious international exhibitions are those for which Fédération Internationale de Philatélie (FIP) patronage is granted, although the increasing cost of complying with FIP requirements has caused concern with some exhibition organisers, particularly in the developing world.
Classes of exhibitEdit
Exhibits are shown in different classes. Normally the classes are similar to those of the FIP Commissions:
- Fight against Forgeries
- Philatelic literature
- Postal history
- Postal stationery
- Thematic philately
- Traditional philately
- Youth philately
Not all classes are shown at every exhibition as exhibits and jurors may not be available. In addition, exhibitions not endorsed by FIP may have different classes.
Philatelic judging is done according to agreed criteria, and in the case of international exhibitions the rules of the FIP are normally used. Judges need to be accredited by the FIP in order to be qualified to judge at FIP endorsed exhibitions.
Judging is a skill in its own right for which training is required.
The judges award a variety of prizes, including gold, vermeil and silver medals and other prizes as determined by the exhibition officials.
It is common for commemorative covers and souvenir sheets to be produced for the larger exhibitions and these are a recognised collecting specialism in themselves.
- "National Philatelic Exhibitions of Washington DC". Napex. Retrieved 2009-05-16.
- "Philately In Transition In India". Stampsofindia.com. 2002-10-31. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2016-02-04.
- "F.I.P. - Fédération Internationale de Philatélie". F-i-p.ch. Retrieved 2016-02-04.
- Guidelines for the Preparation of Philatelic Displays and Competitive Exhibits by Mark Bailey. Wokingham & District Philatelic Society, 22 June 2011. Retrieved 27 June 2011.
- DeVoss, James T. Federation Internationale de Philatelie Awards List. State College, Pa.: J.T. DeVoss, 1980-1990 14 editions
- Grough, James Peter. The Ever-Changing Paradigm of Philatelic Exhibiting. Malmo: Postiljonen AB, 2012 58p.
- Odenweller, Robert P. The F.I.P. Guide to Exhibiting and Judging Traditional and Postal History Exhibits. Zurich: Federation Internationale de Philatelie, 1993
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Philatelic exhibitions.|