Stadion Za Lužánkami
|Location||Brno, Czech Republic|
|Owner||The city of Brno|
|Field size||105m x 68m|
|FC Zbrojovka Brno (until 2001)|
The stadium was constructed 1949-1953 and in the 1960s-1970s was the biggest stadium in Czechoslovakia. Za Lužánkami holds the record for the highest attendance in the Czech First League, set in a match in the 1996–97 Czech First League between Brno and Slavia Prague. It was closed in 2001 after 1. FC Brno moved to Městský fotbalový stadion Srbská. The club was forced to move, since the stadium did not meet the football association and FIFA criteria.
Plans for a reconstruction of the stadium, whereby the team of FC Zbrojovka Brno would return, were made, but in June 2012 it was announced that, due to financial concerns, the proposed reconstruction was on hold.
The stadium fell into disrepair, with trees and bushes growing within it and homeless people living in the stands. FC Zbrojovka Brno captain, Petr Švancara, took it upon himself to try and restore the stadium in order that he could play a farewell game at Za Lužánkami. This effort expanded into a volunteer campaign, back by crowdfunding, to have the stadium ready to host a final game for Švancara. The project was a success, and on 27 June 2015 approximately 35,000 spectators watched two teams composed largely of former FC Zbrojovka Brno players play a match at Za Lužánkami.
FC Zbrojovka Brno's youth team currently train at the stadium, which is rented out to supporters group Verime Zbrojovce, and plans have been unveiled for a £40 million overhaul.
Stadion Za Lužánkami has hosted one friendly match of the Czech Republic national football team
- Ames, Nick; Petrák, Michal. "Zbrojovka Brno fans and the remarkable rebuilding of their Za Luzankami stadium". the Guardian. Retrieved 2015-09-08.
- "Brno chce zachránit stadion Za Lužánkami". Mladá fronta DNES (in Czech). 15 August 2007. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- Krutil, Robin; Taušová, Zuzana (5 January 2013). "Fanoušci Zbrojovky oslaví století klubu u ruiny stadionu za Lužánkami". Mladá fronta DNES (in Czech). Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- Kubát, Vojtěch (18 August 2011). "Druhý díl přehledu nových fotbalových stadionů. Podívejte se na pět projektů z nižších soutěží". Hospodářské noviny (in Czech). Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- Kolínková, Eliška (7 June 2012). "Zbrojovka je v lize a Brnu svitla naděje ve sporu o stadion za Lužánkami". Mladá fronta DNES (in Czech). Retrieved 1 December 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Football stadium Za Lužánkami.|