St Mary Bourne
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
St Mary Bourne is a small village and civil parish in the Basingstoke and Deane district of Hampshire, England.. It lies in the valley of the Bourne Rivulet, a tributary of the River Test 5 miles (8.0 km) northeast of the town of Andover.
|St Mary Bourne|
Thatched Cottage and The George Inn
|Population||1,298 (parish 2011 Censusincluding Little Bourne , Little Down, Middle Wyke ,Stoke and Wadwick)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
The village of St. Mary Bourne is part of the civil parish of St. Mary Bourne, and is part of the Burghclere, Highclere and St. Mary Bourne ward of Basingstoke and Deane borough council. The borough council is a Non-metropolitan district of Hampshire County Council.
Culture and communityEdit
This section needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
There is a local amateur dramatic society, and two golf clubs, both of which are sponsored by pubs. The farms, local pubs which are The George Inn and the Bourne Valley Inn and the partly volunteered shop are not the only businesses in the village. The largest watercress company in Europe, Vitacress, is located in the village. There's a business improvement consultancy, a garage, a recruitment company, an agency for marketing responsible tourism, and a maker of curtains and soft furnishings. There is also a primary school. Most locals commute, heading off to railway stations 5 or more miles away. Just as many drive to Newbury, Whitchurch, Basingstoke, Winchester or Andover.
- Reverend Stephen Pakenham, with additional material by Canon Martin Coppen The Story of St Peter's Church, St Mary Bourne: A Short Guide for Visitors, 2009 (available from the church)
- A Full Church Guide (available from the church)
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 22 December 2016.
- "Hampshire County Council's legal record of public rights of way in Hampshire" (PDF). 2008. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- "Basingstoke and Deane Wards info". 2010. Archived from the original on 24 October 2010. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St Mary Bourne.|