Saint Paul's Episcopal Cathedral (Syracuse, New York)
St. Paul's Cathedral and Parish House
|Location||310 Montgomery Street,|
Syracuse, New York
|Architect||Henry Dudley; Alfred Taylor|
|NRHP reference No.||78001891|
|Added to NRHP||December 1, 1978|
The church is located at 310 Montgomery Street in downtown Syracuse.
The White familyEdit
The locally prominent White family was closely associated with St. Paul's since its founding. It was observed that "the name [White] should always be woven into the history of St. Paul’s."
- Horace White (1802-1860; banker and businessman) was a vestryman for over twenty years and warden, and is honored with a stained glass window on the south aisle
- Clara Dickson White (1811-1882; wife of Horace) donated money for construction of the church tower. The church spire was dedicated in her honor.
- Hamilton White (1807-1865; banker and brother of Horace), was a vestryman for many years and served on the building committee, and is honored by the White Memorial Chancel Window.
The spire and windows were dedicated in 1907 by Horace and Clara's sons Andrew Dickson White (1832-1918; co-founder and first president of Cornell University) and Horace Keep White (1835-1915; banker and head of a salt company).
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. January 23, 2007.
- Miller, Ellen (October 1978). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: St. Paul's Cathedral and Parish House". Retrieved 2009-05-03. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) and Accompanying 12 photos, exterior and interior, from 1976
- Wells, Lester. "The Stained Glass Windows of Historic St. Paul's Syracuse" (PDF). St. Pauls Syracuse. Retrieved 2 November 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Media related to St. Paul's Cathedral (Syracuse, New York) at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. surveyNY-6205, "St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Fayette & Montgomery Streets, Syracuse, Onondaga County, NY", 2 photos, 1 photo caption page