St. Mary's Catholic Church (Fredericksburg, Texas)
|St. Mary's Catholic Church|
St. Mary's Catholic Church in 2017
|Location||306 W. San Antonio St.|
|Architect(s)||Leo M.J. Dielmann|
|Diocese||Roman Catholic Archdiocese of San Antonio|
St. Mary's Catholic Church
|Area||less than one acre|
|Built by||Jacob Wagner|
|Part of||Fredericksburg Historic District (#70000749)|
|MPS||Churches with Decorative Interior Painting TR|
|NRHP reference #||83003143|
|Added to NRHP||June 21, 1983|
|Designated CP||October 14, 1970|
Old St. Mary'sEdit
The first Catholic church in Fredericksburg was a log house built in 1848. In 1861 it was replaced by a stone building, completed in 1863. Now called Old St. Mary's, since 1906 this building has served several purposes, including as a schoolhouse. Its place in the history of German immigration to Texas lead it to be listed as a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark in 1994.
St. Mary's todayEdit
By 1901 the church building was too small for the congregation. A new church was designed by San Antonio architect Leo M.J. Dielmann and built by contractor Jacob Wagner in 1906. The current St. Mary's contains many Gothic features such as buttresses, trefoil motifs, and a corner tower rising high above the roofline. The interior contains extensive painting and murals, including on the organ pipes and ceiling vaults, leading to its inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places as a painted church. It is also part of the National Register's Fredericksburg Historic District, and a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark.
The current campus also includes Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church at 302 East College Street. Originally opened in 1919, it was closed in the 1940s, then reopened as a mission of St. Mary's for Spanish speakers in 1983.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- Knopp, Kenn. "A Short History of New St. Mary's Church". The Painted Churches of Texas: Echoes of the Homeland. Sacred Ground. Archived from the original on 2013-02-13. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- Kennedy, Carol; Flory Butler, Linda; McCann, Marianne (1983). "Churches in Texas with Decorative Interior Painting – National Register of Historic Places Thematic Nomination" (pdf). Texas Historical Commission. pp. 30–32. Retrieved 2013-11-08.[permanent dead link]
- "Old St. Mary's Church (Die Alte Kirche)". Texas Historic Sites Atlas. Texas Historical Commission. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- "St. Mary's Catholic Church". Texas Historic Sites Atlas. Texas Historical Commission. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- "A Guide to the Leo M. J. Dielmann Papers, Drawings, and Photographs, 1847-1961". Daughters of the Republic of Texas. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
- "Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church". St. Mary's Catholic Church (official website). Archived from the original on 2013-11-11. Retrieved 2013-11-08.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St. Mary's Catholic Church (Fredericksburg, Texas).|