St. Joseph's School, Darjeeling
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
St. Joseph's School, is a private day-boarding school for boys in Darjeeling, India, owned and managed by the Jesuits. The school was originally called St. Joseph's College until the college section broke away from the school.
|St. Joseph's School|
|Other name||North Point|
|Former name||St Joseph's College, Darjeeling|
(Lift Up Your Hearts)
|Religious affiliation(s)||Society of Jesus|
|Founder||Fr. Henri Depelchin, (SJ)|
|Rector||Fr. Stanley Karakkada, (SJ)(2020–present)|
|Principal||Fr. Leo Alphonse Raj, (SJ)(2019–present)|
|Colour(s)||Navy and Sky Blue|
|Nickname||North Pointers, Josephites,"spagies".|
|Yearbook||The North Point Annual|
|Prefect||Fr. Anuranjan Ekka, (SJ)(2019–present)|
St. Joseph's School, Darjeeling was founded by Fr. Henri Depelchin on the 13th day of February, 1888, at Sunnybank, Darjeeling with 25 students on the rolls. It was shifted to its present location in 1892. North Point celebrated its 125th year anniversary on February 13th, 2014 which was graced by the presence of the then President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee.
Publications and MediaEdit
The school is divided into four divisions: Primary Division Classes 3 to 5, Lower Division Classes 6 to 8, Upper Division Classes 9 and 10, Senior Division Classes 11 and 12.
The Primary division has 8 captains , the lower division has 8 head boys , the upper division has 8 prefects , the senior division has 8 beadles. These are the student representatives and leaders of the school from both the boarding and day scholar sections of the school, appointed on leadership, academic, and sportsmanship abilities. Also all the classes in the school have 2 monitors one from the boarding section and other one from day scholar section.
In 2006, the school, under the initiative of Fr. Kinley(then Rector), successfully conducted the Class XII Board examinations uninvigilated.This was the first of many batches that would take up the challenge over the years. It was, according to the school, a test of honesty.
- Birendra Bir Bikram Shah Dev former King of Nepal
- Gyanendra Bir Bikram Shah Dev - former King of Nepal
- Paras Bir Bikram Shah Dev - former Crown Prince of Nepal
- Jigme Singye Wangchuck - former King of Bhutan.
- Yeshey Zimba - former Prime Minister of Bhutan
- Lawrence T. Picachy - Archbishop of Calcutta and Cardinal
- Lawrence Durrell - poet and novelist
- Erick Avari - Hollywood actor
- Michael Ferreira - World billiard champion
- Jamyang Norbu - Tibetan activist and author
- Tsoltim Ngima Shakabpa - International banker, activist, writer and poet.
- Kasit Piromya - former Foreign Minister of Thailand
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St. Joseph's School, Darjeeling.|