St. John's Northwestern Military Academy
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
St. John's Northwestern Military Academy (SJNMA) was founded in 1884 as St. John's Military Academy (SJMA) in Delafield, Wisconsin, by Rev. Sidney T. Smythe as a private, college preparatory and leadership development school. In 1995, St. John's Military Academy merged with Northwestern Military and Naval Academy (NMNA) in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, to become St. John's Northwestern Military Academy on the Delafield campus. SJNMA is principally a boarding school for boys and girls in grades 7-12, but also has an active day program. The Academy also offers several summer programs including an adventure camp, summer school and English as a Second Language courses, befitting a school with a considerable Mexican student enrollment. The average ACT score of the school is 24, lower than the national average for college prep schools. The average SAT score of the school is 1110 on a 1600 scale.
|St. John's Northwestern Military Academy|
1101 Genesee St. |
|Type||College Preparatory and Military Boarding and Day School|
|Motto||Work Hard, Play Hard, Pray Hard|
|Campus size||110 acres|
|Athletics||Football, Basketball, Baseball, Soccer, Track and Field, Cross-Country, Wrestling, Swimming, Rifle, Golf, Tennis, Hockey, Lacrosse|
- Daniel Gerber (SJMA 1916) was the founder and president of Gerber Baby Foods.
- General Edward A. Craig (SJMA 1917) was the Commander of the U.S. Marine Corps at the Battle of Iwo Jima in World War II.
- Spencer Tracy (NMNA 1919-1920, non-graduate) was a two-time Academy Award–winning actor.
- George Kennan (SJMA 1922) was the U.S. Ambassador to the USSR (1952) and Yugoslavia. He helped develop the Marshall Plan for reconstruction of Europe after World War II.
- George Wilson (SJMA 1933) was an NFL end with the Chicago Bears (1937–46). He later coached the Detroit Lions to the NFL Championship Game, 1957 NFL Championship before becoming the first coach of the Miami Dolphins.
- Carl Thomsen (NMNA 1934) was former C.E.O. of Texas Instruments.
- Daniel Rostenkowski (SJMA 1946) was an Illinois Democratic leader in the U.S. House of Representatives.
- Curtis Roosevelt (NMNA 1948), the eldest grandson of President Franklin D. Roosevelt, was a statesman who served as a delegate representing the United States to the United Nations.
- Jayapataka Swami (Gordon John Erdman II, SJMA 1965) is a Hare Krishna guru.
- Albert Graf (NMNA 1966) was the founder of Guidant Corp.
- Jay Lovell (SJMA 1974) is the son of astronaut Jim Lovell. His attendance at the school was portrayed in the film Apollo 13.
- Martin Torrijos (SJMA 1981) was the President of Panama.
- "St. John's Northwestern Military Academy Profile | Delafield, Wisconsin (WI)". www.privateschoolreview.com. Retrieved 2018-05-14.