St. Albert's HSS, Ernakulam
St. Albert's HSS (St. Albert's Higher Secondary School) is spread over 5 acres (2.0 ha) of campus, is situated in Banerji Road, Ernakulam, Kochi, India. It was popularly known as St. Albert's High School till 1998, when it was upgraded to a Higher Secondary School. It is the oldest boys school in Ernakulam city. It is under the patronage of Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Verapoly is affiliated to Kerala State Education Board. It has 1800 students and 85 Teachers & Non teaching staffs.
|St. Albert's HSS|
|Motto||Knowledge, Work & Service|
|Principal||Mrs. Sherin Mary D'cunha|
|Grades||Classes 1 to 12|
|Number of students||1800|
|Education system||Kerala State Education Board|
|Medium of language||English|
|Sections||L.P School Section, U.P School Section, High School Section, Plus Two Section|
St. Albert's School was established by Fr. Candidus, an Italian missionary with the permission of Archdiocese of Verapoly with 31 students on 1 February 1892. The land was donated by Maharaja of Cochin and it was known as 'Thumbaparambu' for the local people, as it was full of 'Thumba' (Leucas aspera). In 1896, the School was upgraded into Lower Secondary School. In 1897, two Gothic styled buildings were constructed and it became an important landmark in Kochi city. By 1898, the School was upgraded into High School and received recognition from Madras University. In 1963 a Teachers Training Institute was constructed in the campus. In 1984, a new pyramid shaped (Pagoda) building was constructed over the old U shaped building facing the school ground. As the School celebrated its Centenary in 1992, the two old Gothic buildings were refurnished by replacing the wooden first floor with concrete floor and constructed an open stage at the school ground in memory of Msgr. Chakiamury. In 1994, a new High School building (Honey Comb) was constructed over old LP building. In 1998 the School was upgraded into Higher Secondary School.
Courses and activitiesEdit
The School offers the Secondary School Leaving Certificate Examination (SSLC), which is taken at the end of Class X and Higher Secondary course (Plus Two). The Courses offered are Science Group: Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology; Humanities Group: History, Economics, Political Science and Sociology; Commerce Group: Business Studies, Accountancy, Economics and Mathematics. The school has units of National Cadet Corps, National Service Scheme, Student Police Cadet Project & Junior Red Cross. Besides, the school provides good facilities for sports and games to each and every child in the school, especially in Football, Cricket, Hockey and athletics. It has one of the largest grounds for any school in Kochi City.
- George Vakayil (1883-1931), Saintly Priest
- M.P. Paul (1904-1952), Malayalam Literary Critic.
- Edappally Raghavan Pillai (1909-1936), Malayalam Poet
- Vyloppilli Sreedhara Menon (1911-1985), Malayalam Poet
- Sebastian Kunjukunju Bhagavathar (1901-1985), Malayalam theatre actor, singer, and author.
- Cornelius Elanjikal (1918-2011), Former Archbishop of Verapoly.
- Sudhindra Thirtha (1926–2016), Former Spiritual Head of Kashimath
- K. Sukumaran (judge), Rtd Judge of High Court of Kerala & Mumbai.
- Francis Kallarakal, Former Archbishop of Archdiocese of Verapoly
- Jerry Amaldev, Malayalam Music Director
- Jose (actor)
- Jude Attipetty, Malayalam Cinema & Serial Director
- Machan Varghese (1960-2011) Malayalam comedy Actor.
- Tini Tom, Malayalam Actor.
- "St. Albert's HSS, Ernakulam - Alumni - Retired Teachers Association". stalbertsschool.in.
- Elias, Esther (23 December 2013). "The Gothic landmark". The Hindu. Retrieved 6 July 2018.
- "Jerry Amaldev". www.jerryamaldev.com.