This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sreelekha Mitra is an Indian actress who is known for her work in Bengali cinema. Winner of a BFJA Award and an Anandalok Award, Mitra is best known for her roles in films such as Hothat Brishti (1998), Kantatar (2006), Aschorjo Prodip (2013), Swade Ahlade (2015), Choukath (2015) and Rainbow Jelly (2018).
|Born||30 August 1971|
(m. 2003; div. 2013)
Mitra rose to prominence for her role as Manasi in the 1995 Bengali TV series Trishna. After she appeared in a host of films, her breakthrough role came with Basu Chatterjee's Hothat Brishti (1998) which was a major success at the box office. Despite the success of the film, Mitra never attained any significant elevation in her career which she claimed to be an undesirable consequence of Nepotism in Bangali cinema. She was conferred with BFJA Award and Anandalok Award for her role in Bappaditya Bandopadhyay’s Kantatar (2006) where she essayed Sudha, an illegal immigrant who moves from one man to another and from one religion to another in quest of love. In 2011, she was awarded the Big Bangla Movie Award in The Best Actress in a Supporting Role category for her role in Mahanagar@Kolkata (2010), by Suman Mukhopadhyay. In 2012, she received the Zee Bangla Gourav Samman in the category of Best Supporting Actress for her role in Uro Chithi (2011). She was nominated for Filmfare Award and Zee Bangla Gourav Samman for her role in Ashchorjyo Prodeep (2013). She was further acclaimed for her role in Raja Dasgupta's Bengali film Choukaath (2016). She made her Bollywood debut in Reema Mukherjee's directorial debut Ardhangini Ek Ardhsatya (2016). Mitra has also an extensive career on television. Her notable telefilms include Dwicharini, Raja Opera, Teen Satyi, Dui Purush, Teen Purush and Ami Shey O Anu, to name a few. Her notable television series include Trishna, Ei To Jiban, Pratibimba, Bhanga Gorar Khela, Probahini Ei Samay and Bandhan, to name few. She is also a judge on the Bengali standup comedy show Mirakkel.
Mitra was born in Kolkata. Her father's name is Santosh Mitra. She passed ICSE from Auxilium Convent School. She completed her graduation at Jaypuriya College, with English literature as her honours subject. She went to pursue masters in English literature at Calcutta University but quit it when she got a job at Taj Hotel, Kolkata.
While working at Taj Hotel, Kolkata, Mitra was spotted by a director who offered her to play a role in a Bengali TV series. Her potential was spotted and she was proposed to play the female lead in the 1995 Bengali TV series Trishna. Her role as Manasi in the TV series earned her popularity. At a fast pace she carried on with prominent roles in Bengali films. Her first film alongside Prosenjit Chatterjee was Samadhan (1997) directed by Swapan Saha. The film also stars Rituparna Sengupta as the ladylove of the character played by Chatterjee. Mitra played the role of the sister of the character played by Chatterjee. She often reminisced that, back in 1990s, she was always told to play the sister to Chatterjee even though she had potential to play the female lead. She bagged the female lead opposite Chatterjee in Sagarbanya (1998). While shooting for the film, she had an accident, for which she had to lose significant roles in several films. She featured in Basu Chatterjee's Hothat Brishti (1998) where she portrayed Priti. The film came out as a major success at the box office. In her 2020 vlog Let's Expose Face It, she claimed that she never had any significant elevation in her career even after the huge success of Hothat Brishti (1998). She exposed that she had to lose a number of central female roles since she never showed any interest to be the ladylove of Prosenjit Chatterjee who, then had a monopolistic foothold in Bengali film industry. Till 2001, she had to play the second fiddle in the films she was offered. She featured as the female lead opposite Prosenjit Chatterjee in Rabi Kinagi's Annadata (2002). She garnered wider applause for her role in Pratibimba, a Bengali TV series broadcast on Alpha Bangla between 2002-04. The series was a major commercial success running 700 episodes.
Mitra appeared in a Coca-Cola advertisement with Aamir Khan. She featured in Arghyakamal Mitra's Jonmodin (2005). In 2006, she came to wider attention for her role in Bappaditya Bandopadhyay's much acclaimed film Kantatar, where she essayed the character of Sudha, an illegal immigrant who moves from one man to another and from one religion to another in quest of love. The film earned her the Anandalok Award for Best Actress in 2006 and BFJA Award for Best Actress in 2007. She featured in Manoj Michigan's Bengali drama film Hello Kolkata (2008). She featured as Raka opposite Indraneil Sengupta in Kamaleswar Mukherjee's drama film Uro Chithi (2011). It won critical favour for her performance in Uro Chithi (2011). She was awarded the Zee Bangla Gourav Samman for Best Supporting Actress for her role in the film. She featured as Madhumita Sanyal in Anik Dutta's Bhooter Bhabishyat (2012). In 2014, she was nominated for the Filmfare Award East for Best Supporting Actress for her role in Ashchorjyo Prodeep.
She featured in Arindam Sil's Swade Ahlade (2015). In 2015, she collaborated with Raja Dasgupta in his big screen directorial debut Choukaath, where she essayed the role of Debi who meets an accident, loses her consciousness and gets taken to the hospital by an unknown passer-by. When she regains her consciousness, she cannot recall what happened to her after she met the accident. Eventually, she comes to know that her husband is suspicious that she has been raped after the accident and is pregnant due to the rapist. The film was a critical success. Mitra was well acclaimed for her performance in the film. Anandabajar claimed that her performance in the film was the best one till date. Times of India described her performance as "understated and dignified in her pain".
She accepted the role of Bimala in Reema Mukherjee's directorial debut Ardhangini Ek Ardhsatya (2016) based on Tagore's much celebrated novel Ghare Baire. The film met neither critical nor commercial success. Mitra eschewed the lead in Dupur Thakurpo: Season 2.
She featured in Anshumaan Banerjee's Baro Second (2020) where she played Srijita alongside Silajit portraying Debanjan, Srijita's husband and the male protagonist.
Personal life and media imageEdit
While working in Teen Satyi, a Bengali telefilm for ETV Bangla, she met Siladitya Sanyal who was the assistant director of the telefilm. Sanyal works as a professor in SRFTI. They married on 20 November 2003. They separated in 2013. They have a daughter named Oishi Sanyal born on 7 December 2005.
On 17 June 2020, Mitra uploaded a vlog Let's Expose Face It on her YouTube channel Aami Sreelekha claiming that she never had a significant elevation in her career even after the remarkable success of Hothat Brishti (1998) since she never reciprocated to the love proposal of Prosenjit Chatterjee who then had a monopolistic foothold in Bengali cinema. She said that Rituparna Sengupta rode the crest of her career so easily as she had a love affair with Chatterjee in the late 1990s. The volg stirred Media. Chatterjee never responded to her statement. Sengupta opened up that she had not worked with Chatterjee since 2001 till 2015 but had managed to last in the Bengali film industry.
|BFJA Award||2007||Best Actress in a Leading Role||Kantatar||Won|
|Filmfare Awards East||2014||Best Actress in a Supporting Role||Ashchorjyo Prodeep||Nominated|
|Anandalok Award||2006||Best Actress in a Leading Role||Kantatar||Won|||
|2008||Best Actress in a Leading Role||Tolly Lights||Nominated|
|Zee Bangla Gourav Samman||2012||Best Actress in a Supporting Role||Uro Chithi||Won|||
|2014||Best Actress in a Supporting Role||Ashchorjyo Prodeep||Nominated|||
|Big Bangla Movie Award||2010||Best Actress in a Supporting Role||Mahanagar@Kolkata||Won|||
|Kalakar Award||2003||Best Actress in a Leading Role||Pratibimba||Won|||
|2009||Best Actress in a Leading Role||Tolly Lights||Won|||
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2016||Ardhangini Ek Ardhsatya||Bimala|||
|Baba Keno Chakor|
|Sankha Sindurer Dibbi|
|Apan Holo Par|
|Tak Misti Jiban|||
|2003||Mando Meyer Upakshan|
|Teen Ekke Teen|
|Tumi Robe Nirobe|
|Ogo Bodhu Sundari|
|2015||Chitrahar @ Cinema Noy Ganema|
|2017||Kichu Na Bola Katha|||
|Rainbow Jelly||Pori Pishi|
|2019||Bhalo Maye Kharap Maye|
|2020||Borunbabur Bondhu||Anik Dutta|
|Baro Second||Srijita||Short film|||
|Ami See O Anu|
Bengali TV seriesEdit
|2004||Devdas||Chandramukhi||Comprises five episodes. A part of Sahityer Sera Samay|||
|Ei to Jibon|
|Bhanga Gorar Khela|
|Beder Meye Jotsna||Khokkoshi Rani||Cameo|||
|1999||Sasu Hata Kadi Bhauja Bedi|
- সংবাদদাতা, নিজস্ব. "মাকে বড্ড মিস করছি, জন্মদিনে কেঁদে ফেললেন শ্রীলেখা". anandabazar.com (in Bengali). Retrieved 16 July 2020.
- "আমার প্রাক্তন হ্যান্ডসম বলেই আর কাউকে সে ভাবে মনে ধরল না: শ্রীলেখা". anandabazar.com (in Bengali). 20 November 2020. Retrieved 21 November 2020.
- "Sreelekha Mitra movies, filmography, biography and songs - Cinestaan.com". Cinestaan. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "Sreelekha Mitra's explosive video, actor alleges superstars control casting in Bengali industry". The Times of India. 20 June 2020. Retrieved 23 June 2020.
- "শ্রীলেখা কারোর কাজ নিয়ে নেয় নি তো? স্বজনপোষণ বিতর্ক উস্কে দিলেন প্রিয়া কার্ফা". Zee24Ghanta.com. 21 June 2020. Retrieved 27 August 2020.
- "Hothat Brishti made me the Ferdous I am". Archived from the original on 17 June 2014.
- Singh, Shalu (20 June 2020). "Actor Sreelekha Mitra claims superstars govern casting in Bengali film industry". www.indiatvnews.com. Retrieved 21 June 2020.
- "92.7 BIG FM and Mustraj presents BIG Bangla Movie Awards 2010". EVENTFAQS Media. Retrieved 29 August 2020.
- "I felt insulted and humiliated". www.telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 28 August 2020.
- "প্রথম চুমু... মুখ খুললেন শ্রীলেখা". anandabazar.com (in Bengali). 28 August 2018. Retrieved 16 July 2020.
- "কোনও নায়ক, প্রডিউসার আমার প্রেমিক ছিলেন না, বিছানাতেও যায়নি, তাই আমি মিসফিট: বিস্ফোরক শ্রীলেখা". The Wall. 19 June 2020. Retrieved 11 July 2020.
- বিশ্বাস, বিহঙ্গী. "গডফাদার নেই, ন্যাকামোও করিনি, যাইনি বিছানাতেও, তাই প্রাপ্যও পাইনি কোনও দিন". anandabazar.com (in Bengali). Retrieved 16 July 2020.
- "Samadhan trailer". YouTube. Retrieved 29 October 2020.
- "ফেরদৌসের সঙ্গে কথা বলায় শ্রীলেখাকে ফোন করেন প্রসেনজিৎ!". www.deshrupantor.com. Retrieved 11 November 2020.
- "'প্রসেনজিৎ-ঋতুর প্রেমের জন্যই কাজ পাইনি, শ্রীলেখার এই মন্তব্যে মুখ খুললেন অশোক ধানুকা". Kolkata24x7 (in Bengali). 21 June 2020. Retrieved 30 June 2020.
- "Alpha Bangla to woo masses with new fare". Indian Television Dot Com. 16 August 2004. Retrieved 19 January 2021.
- "Sreelekha, a pornstar?". The Times of India. 29 May 2008. Archived from the original on 18 June 2011. Retrieved 31 December 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "BALANCING ACT -ScreenIndia.Com". www.screenindia.com. Retrieved 24 October 2008. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Anandalok Awards (2006)". gomolo.com. Retrieved 27 September 2017.
- "69th & 70th Annual Hero Honda BFJA Awards 2007". 8 January 2010. Archived from the original on 8 January 2010. Retrieved 28 March 2019.
- "BFJA Awards (2007)". gomolo.com. Retrieved 27 September 2017.
- "From the floors". www.telegraphindia.com. 27 March 2008. Retrieved 4 July 2020.
- "মোবাইল জুড়ে আছে কত শত গল্প". archives.anandabazar.com. Retrieved 7 January 2021.
- "এসএমএস পৌঁছল". archives.anandabazar.com. Retrieved 12 November 2020.
- "Ghosts meet for Datta's Bhooter Bhabishyat". www.telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 12 November 2020.
- "The nominations for the #VivelFilmfareAwards East are out". Twitter/Filmfare. 21 March 2014. Retrieved 21 March 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Nominations for the 1st Vivel Filmfare Awards 2013 (East)". Filmfare. 21 March 2014. Retrieved 21 March 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "This Sunday, catch Swade Ahlade on Zee Bangla Cinema". The Times of India. 24 July 2015. Retrieved 21 June 2020.
- "সীতার অগ্নিপরীক্ষার 'চৌকাঠ' শিক্ষিত সমাজেও". Kalerkantho (in Bengali). Retrieved 5 February 2021.
- "চৌকাঠ পেরিয়ে জীবনের জলছবি". www.anandabazar.com. Retrieved 5 February 2021.
- "Choukath…The Threshold". The Times of India. Retrieved 27 September 2017.
- "Ardhangini - Ek Ardhsatya Movie: Showtimes, Review, Trailer, Posters, News & Videos | FILMIPOP". www.filmipop.com. Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- "বৌদি বদল! এ বার ঠাকুরপোদের সামলাতে আসছেন শ্রীলেখা". EI Samay (in Bengali). 24 February 2018. Retrieved 1 July 2020.
- "লুক টেস্টে মশারির মতো শাড়ি পরতে দেওয়া হয়েছিল". anandabazar.com (in Bengali). Retrieved 16 July 2020.
- "'Ashchorjyo Pradip' to 'Kantatar': Five times Sreelekha Mitra won our hearts with stellar performances". The Times of India. 23 June 2020. Retrieved 28 August 2020.
- "Rainbow Jelly Movie Review". The Times of India. Retrieved 27 September 2020.
- "মুভি রিভিউ: 'রেনবো জেলি'র সাতরং কতটা রূপকথার ছবি আঁকল?". Zee24Ghanta.com. 1 June 2018. Retrieved 27 September 2020.
- "স্বামীকে লুকিয়ে পরকীয়ায় মত্ত শ্রীলেখা, জেনে নিন ১২ সেকেন্ডের উষ্ণ কাহিনী". www.sangbadsafar.com. Retrieved 10 November 2020.
- "'ক্লিভেজ দেখার জন্য সময় পাবে', একথা জানিয়ে চোখে হারানোর পরামর্শ শ্রীলেখার". Hindustantimes Bangla (in Bengali). 30 December 2020. Retrieved 30 December 2020.
- "ওয়েব প্ল্যাটফর্মে পা রাখছেন শিলাদিত্য মৌলিক, সঙ্গে শ্রীলেখা-সাহেব, প্রকাশ্যে টিজার পোস্টার". www.sangbadpratidin.in. Retrieved 23 January 2021.
- "Men think i am sensuous and intelligent: Sreelekha". www.telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 23 November 2020.
- "বিচ্ছেদ না হলে আজকের দিনেই হত তাঁদের ১৭তম বিবাহবার্ষিকী, মনে করালেন শ্রীলেখা". zeenews.india.com. Retrieved 22 November 2020.
- "Today's TV serials are meaningless and often in bad taste: Sreelekha Mitra - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "'যিশু-পরমব্রতও কি শুয়ে কাজ পান?'সৃজিতের সঙ্গে ছবি নিয়ে শ্রীলেখাকে পালটা দিলেন স্বস্তিকা". www.sangbadpratidin.in. 20 June 2020. Retrieved 17 July 2020.
- "মেয়ের জন্মদিনে শ্রীলেখা 'টুম্পা'! রাতভোর জমিয়ে দিলেন 'ঠুমকা'য়". anandabazar.com (in Bengali). 6 December 2020. Retrieved 6 December 2020.
- সংবাদদাতা, নিজস্ব. "বসন্ত এসে গেছে, টলি-প্রেমের রিপোর্ট কার্ড". www.anandabazar.com. Retrieved 15 February 2021.
- "Actress Rituparna Sengupta opens up on Sreelekha's remark on Nepotism". Sangbad Pratidin. 20 June 2020. Retrieved 11 November 2020.
- "লাস্যময়ী শ্রীলেখার কিছু আবেদনময়ী ছবি". Khas Khobor. 8 August 2020. Retrieved 9 August 2020.
- "Kalakar award winners" (PDF). Kalakar website. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 April 2012. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- "Ardhangini - Ek Ardhsatya". The Times of India. Retrieved 21 June 2020.
- "Sei Raat". YouTube. Retrieved 28 July 2020.
- "Samadhan (1997)". FilmiClub. Retrieved 29 August 2020.
- "Tak Misti Jiban (2002)". FilmiClub. Retrieved 29 August 2020.
- "Devdoot (2004)". Cinestaan. Retrieved 10 September 2018.
- "Ebong Bisarjan". www.amazon.com. Retrieved 4 July 2020.
- "আনাচে কানাচে". anandabazar.com (in Bengali). Retrieved 23 July 2020.
- বন্দ্যোপাধ্যায়, স্রবন্তী (16 June 2017). "চার মেয়ের প্রেম". anandabazar.com (in Bengali). Retrieved 16 July 2020.
- "Jisshu, Mir turn Aranyadeb? - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 April 2021.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (18 February 2019). "Ishaa Saha, Sreelekha Mitra, Kharaj Mukherjee, June Maliah and Saurav Das... First look poster of #Bengali film #Sweater... Directed by Shieladitya Moulik... Produced by PSS Entertainments and Pramod Films... Distribution by SSR Cinemas P Ltd... Summer 2019 release. t.co/NVdcLYJiBT" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "১২ সেকেন্ডে অন্য পুরুষ থেকে প্রিয় শিলাজিতের কাছেই ফিরলেন শ্রীলেখা". anandabazar.com (in Bengali). 8 November 2020. Retrieved 8 November 2020.
- "'Avijatrik' poster signifies a whole new world for Apu and Kajal". The Times of India. 23 June 2020. Retrieved 11 July 2020.
- "Sujan, Sreelekha and Bratya in Aditya Vikram's next?". The Times of India. Retrieved 29 August 2020.
- "কে কি বললো সেটা ভাবলে এখানে আসতে পারতাম না- শ্রীলেখা মিত্র". Sarabangla. 14 August 2018. Retrieved 15 February 2021.
- "আমাকে সিরিয়াল থেকে সরিয়ে দিয়েছেন শ্রীলেখা মিত্র, স্বজনপোষণ বিতর্ক উস্কে অভিযোগ অভিনেত্রী প্রিয়া কার্ফার". The News Nest. 21 June 2020. Retrieved 29 August 2020.
- "Screen On & Off". www.telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 21 September 2020.
- "Bartaman Patrika". bartamanpatrika.com. Retrieved 10 November 2020.
- ""বেদের মেয়ে জ্যোৎস্না"য় 'খোক্কসী রানি' হয়ে আসছেন শ্রীলেখা". Zee24Ghanta.com. Retrieved 10 November 2020.