Springer Nature(Redirected from Springer International Publishing AG)
Springer Nature is an academic publishing company created by the May 2015 merger of Springer Science+Business Media and Holtzbrinck Publishing Group's Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, and Macmillan Education. The company reported revenues of €1.64 billion in 2017.
|Revenue||EUR 1.64 bn (2017)|
|Owners||Holtzbrinck Publishing Group (53%)|
BC Partners (47%)
Number of employees
Springer Nature was formed in 2015 by the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan and Macmillan Education (held by Holtzbrinck Publishing Group) with Springer Science+Business Media (held by BC Partners). Plans for the merger were first announced on 15 January 2015. The transaction was concluded in May 2015 with Holtzbrinck having the majority 53% share.
The company originates from a number of journals and publishing houses, notably Springer-Verlag, which was founded in 1842 by Julius Springer in Berlin (a relative of Axel and Bernhard who a century later founded Axel Springer SE and Springer Publishing), Nature, first published on 4 November 1869, and Macmillan Education, which goes back to Macmillan Publishers founded in 1869.
After the merger, former Springer Science+Business Media CEO Derk Haank became CEO of Springer Nature. When he retired by the end of 2017, he was succeeded by Daniel Ropers, the co-founder and long-time CEO of bol.com.
- "Springer Nature created following merger completion". Springer. 6 May 2015.
- "Nature publisher to merge with Springer". Times Higher Education. 15 January 2015. Retrieved April 6, 2018.
- Caroline Carpenter (May 6, 2015). "Completed merger forms 'Springer Nature'". The Bookseller. Retrieved July 8, 2015.
- "Springer celebrates 175 years since its founding". KnowledgeSpeak.com. 11 May 2017. Retrieved April 6, 2018.
- "Do you mean Springer, Springer or Springer?". Springer.com. 2014. Missing or empty
- "Nature". Phys.org. Retrieved April 6, 2018.
- "Bol.com's Ropers to take Haank's role at Springer Nature". The Bookseller. 6 May 2015.