Spirits (Albert Ayler album)
Spirits is an album by American free jazz saxophonist Albert Ayler recorded in New York City in 1964 and first released on the Dutch Debut label then later released on the Freedom label as Witches & Devils.
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||February 24, 1964|
|Studio||Atlantic Studios, New York City|
|Label||Debut (Denmark) DEB 146|
Freedom AL 1018
|Producer||Robert Altshuler and Jørgen Frigaard|
|Albert Ayler chronology|
|Witches & Devils Cover|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
All About Jazz stated "The names on the cover look good: Albert Ayler, Henry Grimes, and Sunny Murray. But somehow the parts never add up, though. Sure, the album's four tunes wiggle plenty, producing the agitated jazz Ayler often preached; but, the motions on Spirits, unlike Ayler's better moments, resolve too very little... True Ayler diehards will undoubtedly gobble this recording up, but those in search of quality best look elsewhere".
All compositions by Albert Ayler.
- "Spirits" - 6:35
- "Witches and Devils" - 11:55
- "Holy, Holy" - 11:00
- "Saints" - 6:05
- Albert Ayler discography accessed October 28, 2014
- Discogs album entry, accessed October 28, 2014
- Jurek, T., Allmusic Review accessed October 28, 2014
- Swenson, J., ed. (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 5. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- Linares, G., All About Jazz Review, September 15, 2005