|Directed by||P. G. Viswambharan|
K. J. Thomas
|Written by||Alleppey Sheriff|
M. G. Soman
Balan K. Nair
K. P. Ummer
|Music by||Sankar Ganesh|
|Edited by||K. Narayanan|
|Distributed by||Vijaya Movies|
Sphodanam is the story of two people who have to fight for justice against the landlord as they are the voice of the working class. Ultimately good wins the battle over evil, but it suffers many.
- Sukumaran as Gopi
- M. G. Soman as Surendran
- Mammootty as Thankappan
- Ravikumar as Engineer
- Seema as Lalitha
- Sheela as Devaki
- Balan K. Nair as Muthalali
- K. P. Ummer as Police Officer
- Prameela as Narayanapilla's wife
- Kuthiravattam Pappu as Narayana Pilla
- Sankaradi as Krishnan
- Santhakumari as Muthalali's wife
- Shubha as Gouri
- Mala Aravindan as Vasu Pilla
- Jagathi Sreekumar as Kuttan Pilla
- Kaviyoor Ponnamma as Gopi's mother
- Santo Krishnan as Kunjappi
- KPAC Premachandran as Sankaran
Sphodanam was one of the earliest films of actor Mammootty, before he being turned a major star. In a late interview to a film weekly, actress Sheela, who played the lead lady in Sphodanam and was also the producer of the film, recalled the events during the shoot. A scene wherein actors Sukumaran, and Mammootty jumping across a prison wall was shot with a foam bed lying upon the ground on which the actors would fall. Mammootty, who was just a newbie actor at the time, was refused to have the privilege of a bed as a protection by the director P. G. Vishwambharan. Vishwambharan said a new face like Mammootty doesn't deserve such privileges, though Sheela argued with him against such a discrimination. Mammootty, however, jumped from the wall without the safety bed and suffered an injury to his leg. The actor completed his remaining portions with the fractured leg.
|1||"Kaarkuzhalil Poovu Choodiya"||K. J. Yesudas||O. N. V. Kurup|
|2||"Maari Maari Poomaari"||S. Janaki, Chorus||O. N. V. Kurup|
|3||"Nashtappeduvaanillonnum"||K. J. Yesudas, Chorus||O. N. V. Kurup|
|4||"Valakilukkam Kelkkanallo"||P. Jayachandran, Vani Jairam, B. Vasantha, Jolly Abraham||O. N. V. Kurup|
- "I like this arrogance, 'keep it up', this is what I told Mammootty first". Kerala Kaumudi. 4 September 2019. Retrieved 14 October 2020.
- "Noticed Mammootty's gait ?". The Times of India. 10 May 2013. Retrieved 14 October 2020.
- Farsana Jaleel (26 September 2016). "Sheela about Mammootty's dedication". Kerala Kaumudi. Retrieved 18 October 2017.