Speedtest.net, also known as Speedtest by Ookla, is an American web service that provides free analysis of Internet access performance metrics, such as connection data rate and latency. It was founded by Ookla in 2006, and is based in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
Screenshot of an internet speed test on speedtest.net (2016).
|Original author(s)||Ziff Davis|
|Initial release||1 April 2006|
|Operating system||Windows 10, Web site, Android, iOS, Apple TV, Mac, Chrome Web Store|
|Available in||11 languages|
|Type||Internet Speed Test|
|Alexa rank||177 March 2020[update]|
The service measures the data throughput (speed) and latency (connection delay) of an Internet connection against one of around 8,000 geographically dispersed servers (as of November 2019). Each test measures the data rate for the download direction, i.e. from the server to the user computer, and the upload data rate, i.e. from the user's computer to the server. The tests are performed within the user's web browser or within apps. As of September 2018[update], over 21 billion speed tests have been completed.
Tests were previously performed using the HTTP protocol at Layer 7 of the OSI model. To further improve accuracy, Speedtest.net now performs tests via direct Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) sockets and uses a custom protocol for communication between servers and clients.
|Acquisition date||Company||Country||Value (USD)||References|
|19 June 2018||Mosaik||United States|||
|9 August 2018||Downdetector||Netherlands|||
|10 October 2018||Ekahau||Finland|||
The technology of Speedtest.net is similar to that of Ookla NetGauge, which is provided to a wide variety of companies and organizations on a licensed basis. Speedtest.net Mini was a free, stripped-down Flash version of the speed test technology used on Speedtest.net that users could run on their own web server, however it was replaced in 2016 with Speedtest Custom, an HTML5-based tool.
Speedtest market reportsEdit
In 2016, Speedtest began releasing market reports for different countries and cities, providing raw statistics regarding download and upload speeds for the past year for ISPs and mobile carriers. It also includes analysis of the current ISP and mobile markets of the respective country and breakdowns by region and city. ISPs and mobile carriers are ranked by their geographic performance.
|Year||Country Name (Alphabetical)||Average ISP Download||Average ISP Upload||Average Mobile Download||Average Mobile Upload||Fastest ISP Speed Score||Fastest Carrier Speed Score|
|2017||Canada||59.67 Mbit/s||18.55 Mbit/s||35.19 Mbit/s||10.29 Mbit/s||Rogers (80.02)||TELUS (42.16)|
|2017||United States||64.17 Mbit/s||22.79 Mbit/s||22.69 Mbit/s||8.51 Mbit/s||XFINITY (69.58)||T-Mobile (23.17)|
|2018||Saudi Arabia||21.66 Mbit/s||9.25 Mbit/s||17.71 Mbit/s||10.64 Mbit/s||Mobily (17.81)||STC (20.66)|
- "Speedtest by Ookla APKs". APKMirror. Retrieved 2019-10-29.
- "Speedtest by Ookla". App Store. Retrieved 2019-03-17.
- "Speedtest by Ookla". Mac App Store. Retrieved 2019-06-09.
- "Speedtest by Ookla". chrome.google.com. Retrieved 2019-04-05.
- "Speedtest.net Traffic, Demographics and Competitors - Alexa". www.alexa.com. Retrieved 2020-03-01.
- "Speedtest Frequently Asked Questions". www.speedtest.net. Retrieved 2019-11-07.
- See tests completed on page.
- "Broadband speeds around the world". BBC News. December 2, 2007. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- Greenop, Matt (July 27, 2007). "The truth about Kiwi broadband". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- Lane, Terry (June 24, 2007). "Hey Telstra, forget about broadband". The Age. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- "Ziff Davis Acquires Ookla... (NASDAQ:JCOM)". Archived from the original on 2014-12-27. Retrieved May 28, 2016.
- "Mosaik is joining Ookla". Retrieved October 15, 2018.
- "Downdetector is now part of Ookla". Retrieved October 15, 2018.
- "Ekahau is now part of Ookla". Retrieved October 15, 2018.
- "NetMetrics from Ookla - Internet performance database". ookla.com.
- "2017 Canada Speedtest Market Snapshot". Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "2017 United States Speedtest Market Report". Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "2018 Saudi Arabia Speedtest Market Report". Retrieved May 8, 2018.