Special Envoy of the Secretary-General
Examples include the SESGs on Children affected by Armed Conflict, on HIV/AIDS in Africa, on LRA-affected areas, on indigenous people, to a specific country etc. Bill Clinton, a former president of the United States, was named the special envoy to Haiti in 2009, and for much of 2012 Kofi Annan, the seventh Secretary-General of the United Nations, was Joint Special Representative for the United Nations and the Arab League for Syria. In July 2012, Gordon Brown, a former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, was named the special envoy on Global Education. There are many other people of different backgrounds who serve the Secretary-General.
List of Special EnvoysEdit
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (January 2020)
The UN has appointed a number of Special Envoys.
- George C. Marshall was appointed the Special Envoy for negotiating the Communist Party of China and the Nationalists (Kuomintang) into a unified government in 1945.
- Virendra Dayal was appointed the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General for facilitating the Negotiations to end apartheid in South Africa in 1992.
- Terje Roed-Larsen was appointed the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General for the Implementation of United Nations Security Council Resolution 1559 (January 3, 2005)
- Bill Clinton was appointed the Special Envoy for Haiti in May 2009.
- Haile Menkerios was appointed the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General for Sudan and South Sudan on July 29, 2011.
- Maria Soledad Cisternas Reyes was appointed the Special Envoy on Disability and Accessibility on June 20, 2017.
- Han Seung-soo was appointed the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General for Disaster Risk Reduction and Water on December 19, 2013.
- Hiroute Guebre Sellassie was appointed the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General for the Sahel on April 30, 2014
- Staffan de Mistura was appointed the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General for Syria on July 10, 2014.
- Said Djinnit was appointed the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General to the Great Lakes Region on 17 July 2014.
- Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed was appointed the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General for Yemen on April 25, 2015.
- Macharia Kamau and Mary Robinson were appointed as Special Envoys of the Secretary-General for El Niño and Climate on May 20, 2016.
- Michael Bloomberg was appointed as the Special Envoy for Climate Action on March 5, 2018. Bloomberg previously served as Special Envoy for Cities and Climate Change since January 31, 2014.
- Mahmoud Mohieldin was appointed as the Special Envoy on Financing the 2030 Agenda on February 4, 2020. 
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- "The Special Envoy of the Secretary General of the United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti". United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- "Home". The Office of the UN Special Envoy for Global Education.
- "General George C. Marshall's Mission to China, 1945-1947". www.gale.com. Retrieved 2018-02-27.
- "Shri Virendra Dayal - IHF profile". Indian Harmony Foundation. 2016. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- "Middle Eastern Special and Personal Representatives, Envoys and Advisers of the Secretary-General". United Nations. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- "African Special and Personal Representatives, Envoys and Advisers of the Secretary-General". United Nations. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- "Ms. María Soledad Cisternas Reyes of Chile - Special Envoy on Disability and Accessibility". United Nations Secretary-General. Retrieved 12 October 2017.
- "Secretary-General Appoints Han Seung-Soo of Republic of Korea Special Envoy on Disaster Risk Reduction and Water" (Press release). United Nations. 19 December 2013.
- "Secretary-General Appoints Mary Robinson of Ireland, Macharia Kamau of Kenya Special Envoys on El Niño and Climate" (Press release). United Nations. 20 May 2016.
- "Secretary-General Appoints Michael R. Bloomberg of United States Special Envoy for Climate Action | Meetings Coverage and Press Releases". www.un.org.
- https://www.un.org/sg/en/content/sg/personnel-appointments/2020-02-04/mr-mahmoud-mohieldin-of-egypt-special-envoy-financing-the-2030-agenda. Missing or empty
|This United Nations-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|