This article needs to be updated.(August 2017)
The Southern Ethiopian People's Democratic Movement (SEPDM) was a political party in Ethiopia. At the last legislative elections, 15 May 2005, the party was part of the Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Democratic Front, that won 327 out of 527 seats in the Council of People's Representatives.
|Succeeded by||Prosperity Party|
Originally known as the Southern Ethiopia Peoples Democratic Front, the SEPDM was founded in 1992. Muferiat Kamil has been Chair of the SEPDM since 25 June 2018, replacing the previous chairman Shiferaw Shigute.
In the August 2005 Regional assembly elections, the party won 271 out of 348 seats in the Southern Nations, Nationalities, and People's Region (SNNPR). The SEPDM announced 13 December 2007 that in the next election cycle that they would field 790,000 candidates for races for offices in woreda and kebele councils, town administration and the House of Peoples' Representatives. In the 2008 by-elections, the SEPDM won 10 seats in the SNNPR regional assembly, all 850 seats up for election in the 13 Zones of the SNNPR, control of 123 woredas and 20 towns.
- Ethiopian House of Peoples' Representatives Website Archived 2006-03-22 at the Wayback Machine
- "About EPRDF" Archived 2009-05-08 at the Wayback Machine, Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Democratic Front website (accessed 29 May 2009)
- African Elections Database
- "SEPDM to field over 790,000 candidates for upcoming election" Archived 2011-09-27 at the Wayback Machine (Walta Information Center)
- "The National Electoral Board of Ethiopia Official Result of the Local and By-Elections Held on April 13 and April 20, 2008", Walta Information Center, May 2008 (accessed 17 March 2009)
- Exclusive: Third day EPRDF EC discussing “Prosperity Party” Regulation. Find the draft copy obtained by AS