Southampton Airport Parkway railway station
Southampton Airport Parkway railway station is on the South Western main line located in the south of Eastleigh in Hampshire, England, 74 miles 66 chains (120.4 km) down the line from London Waterloo. It is adjacent to Southampton Airport.
|Southampton Airport Parkway|
The station looking northwards in February 2012
|Local authority||Borough of Eastleigh|
|Managed by||South Western Railway|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|30 October 1929||Opened as Atlantic Park Hostel Halt|
|1 April 1966||Reopened as Southampton Airport|
|29 September 1986||Renamed Southampton Parkway for Southampton (Eastleigh) Airport|
|29 May 1994||Renamed Southampton Airport Parkway|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Southampton Airport Parkway from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
Railway lines in Southampton
The station has two platforms. One is on the western side fronting the line running northbound via Winchester, Basingstoke, Woking and Clapham Junction, towards London Waterloo (also having services via Basingstoke to Reading, Birmingham and the North West). The other opposing fronts the line running southbound towards Southampton, Bournemouth, and Weymouth.
The station opened with different structures as the Atlantic Park Hostel Halt in 1929, built by the Southern Railway and closed before the 1950s. In 1966, many of the present parts were built and services resumed by British Rail as Southampton Airport railway station (1966). The station was renamed Southampton Parkway railway station (1986) and Southampton Airport Parkway railway station (1994).
- 3 tph to London Waterloo (South Western Railway)
- 1 tph to Poole (South Western Railway)
- 2 tph to Weymouth (South Western Railway)
- 1 tph to Chandlers Ford & Romsey (South Western Railway)
- 1 tph to Salisbury via Southampton Central (South Western Railway)
- 1 tph to Manchester Piccadilly via Reading & Birmingham New Street (CrossCountry)
- 4 tph to Bournemouth (CrossCountry)
- 1 tpd to Cardiff Central (GWR)
- 1 tpd to Portsmouth Harbour (GWR)
- 1 tpd to Brighton (Southern)
Facilities available include: a ticket office, toilets, coffee shop, waiting area and car parking. The station was upgraded in 2010 with a new footbridge with lifts to improve accessibility for disabled people costing £2 million as part of a wider £7 million investment in the airport. Lobbying also took place to ensure the service pattern kept the station as a halt on all major routes, which was achieved.
- Table 158 National Rail timetable, May 2016
- Table 51 National Rail timetable, May 2016
- "£7 million investment to transform Southampton Airport". BAA Limited. Retrieved 3 January 2010.