South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive
|Passenger Transport Executive|
1 April 1974|
(Local Government Act 1972)
Broad Street West|
|Parent||Sheffield City Region Combined Authority|
The South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive is the passenger transport executive for South Yorkshire in England. It is supervised by the Sheffield City Region Combined Authority, which consists of representatives from the metropolitan boroughs of Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster, and Barnsley.
Between 1974 and 1994 it ran virtually all bus services in the county. From 1986 until 1993, buses were operated by an arms length company, South Yorkshire Transport, until a management buyout created the bus operating company Mainline Group. Shortly after Stagecoach purchased a 20% stake in the company, however this was sold in 1995 to FirstBus.
SYPTE is responsible for all the bus stops, shelters and bus interchanges in the county, along with park & ride sites. It provides comprehensive public transport information at stops, in the form of timetable leaflets, information on the web and a telephone enquiry service called Traveline.
SYPTE has a network of Information Centres providing information and ticketing. SYPTE administers the concessionary travel schemes for children and students, senior citizens and the mobility impaired and the countywide multi-modal ticket Travelmaster.
It is responsible for various public transport services in the county, particularly the Sheffield Supertram and various subsidised bus services.
Travel South YorkshireEdit
The South Yorkshire public transport network, of which SYPTE is a key deliverer of passenger services, was re-branded as Travel South Yorkshire in 2006. Changes include the introduction of the YourNextBus scheme on all stops as well as LED departure boards on the towns most often run routes at certain stops.
Travel South Yorkshire provides timetable information for all bus and train services within South Yorkshire. Some leaflets are available from Interchanges.
Travel information centresEdit
Travel South Yorkshire's interchanges at Sheffield, Arundel Gate in Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley, Doncaster, Hillsborough and Dinnington provide information and advice about public transport in South Yorkshire. From these interchanges, information can be obtained and a range of multi-modal (TravelMaster) tickets can be bought from self-serve vending machines. Other travel passes which were previously available at 'Information Centre' desks at these interchanges are now only available from the Travel South Yorkshire website or over the phone from Traveline.
Travel South Yorkshire sells a range of multi-modal tickets on behalf of the public transport operators of South Yorkshire. These are generally in the form of smart card tickets and are commercial products which do not receive a subsidy.
In 1985, the SYPTE purchased an Alexander RH bodied Dennis Dominator trolleybus with a view to reintroducing a trolleybus network. A one mile section on Sandall Beat Road alongside Doncaster Racecourse was wired. However with deregulation in 1986, the project was shelved.
National Transport AwardsEdit
- Integrated Transport Authority of the Year (2013).
- Technology Award for the GetThereSooner project.
- Rail Station of the Year.
- Joe Clarke Passenger Transport Authority of the Year.
- IHT/Mouchel Parkman Accessibility Award for Sheffield Station.
Yorkshire Renaissance AwardsEdit
- Rail Project Award for Sheffield Station.
UK Bus AwardsEdit
- Local Authority Bus Project of the Year Award for Sheffield Bus Partnership (2013).
- Making Buses a Better Choice Award for Sheffield Bus Partnership (2013).
Secure Stations SchemeEdit
- Crime Prevention charity Crime Concern’s Award for Meadowhall Interchange, Swinton and Adwick.
- Best Travel Awareness Event Award for Carbon Quids campaign.
Institution of Civil Engineers’ Yorkshire & Humber Awards
- Award for Excellence for Barnsley Interchange.
Light Rail Awards
- Project of the Year Award for the £3m Supertram revamp.
Rail Business Awards
- Station Excellence Award for Rotherham Central Station.
Local Government Chronicle (LGC) Awards
- Most Innovative Service Delivery Model Award for Sheffield Bus Partnership.
- South Yorkshire Transport Authority Sells Off Bus Company to Staff Local Government Chronicle 18 November 1993
- Trolleybus starts days at races Commercial Motor 20 July 1985
- "Transport Times Events | News/Blog | NATIONAL TRANSPORT AWARDS 2013 - Winners Announced". www.transporttimes.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-01-27.
- Industry, Sheffield Chamber of Commerce and. "Sheffield city council pull out of carbon saving plan". www.scci.org.uk. Retrieved 2018-01-27.
- Media related to South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive at Wikimedia Commons
- South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive
- Travel South Yorkshire Public transport information for South Yorkshire
- South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Authority
- Passenger Transport Executive Group
|This article about an organisation in England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This South Yorkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to government in the United Kingdom or its constituent countries is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|