South Station Bus Terminal
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The South Station Bus Terminal, owned by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, is the main gateway for long-distance coach buses in Boston, Massachusetts. It is located at 700 Atlantic Avenue, at the intersection with Beach Street, in the Chinatown/Leather District neighborhoods. The facility is immediately south-southwest of the main MBTA/Amtrak South Station terminal, and is located above the station platforms and tracks.
Main entrance on Atlantic Avenue, Boston
|Location||700 Atlantic Avenue|
United States of America
|Owned by||Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority|
C&J Bus Lines
Peter Pan Bus Lines
Plymouth & Brockton 
|Platforms||26 bus bays (departure)|
|Connections||South Station subway station|
The building, completed in 1995, serves as a nexus to consolidate several intercity coach bus locations serving Boston into a single central location. This shift facilitated the removal of the main coach bus terminal at the heart of Dewey Square, a shift from the former Greyhound coach Bus terminal at 10 St. James Avenue in the Back Bay area, and the transferral of various curbside Chinatown bus lines into this one facility. Continental Trailways service also previously operated from a terminal in the Back Bay, until sometime in the 1980s.
The bus station building has a mixture of glass and metal on its exterior, with mainly a red-granite stone and metallic-surfaced interior. Situated just south of and separate from the main South Station train terminal, the bus terminal is strikingly vertical in design, with five floors. Entry is via a long escalator, or a large glass-sided elevator with exterior views. The passageway from the upper entrance lobby towards the main hall has a series of large dark-tinted windows overlooking the railway tracks below.
The station contains a variety of amenities for waiting passengers. These include a newsstand and snack bar; two fast-food outlets: D'Angelos and McDonald's; a number of payphones; free 15-minute public parking on the roof, and restrooms. Like other major transportation facilities, it also contains full service ticket counters, seating areas, and a waiting hall with designated gates leading to individual buses.
Bus lines serving the terminalEdit
Unless otherwise indicated, all destinations are in Massachusetts.
- C&J Bus Lines
- Taunton and New Bedford
- Portsmouth (New Hampshire), Portland, Brunswick, Lewiston, Augusta, Waterville, Bangor (all other destinations are in Maine)
- White River Junction, Burlington, Montreal (Canada) (first two intermediate stops are in Vermont)
- Framingham and New York City (Port Authority Bus Terminal)
- Worcester and New York City (Port Authority Bus Terminal)
- Worcester, Springfield, Albany NY, Schenectady NY, Utica NY, Syracuse NY, Rochester NY, Buffalo NY, Erie PA, and Cleveland, OH
- Worcester MA, Albany, Cobleskill, Oneonta, and Binghamton (all other destinations are in New York State, service west of Albany operated by Trailways using the same bus.)
- Providence, Foxwoods Casino, Mohegan Sun Casino, New London, New Haven, Bridgeport, Stamford, White Plains, New York Port Authority
- Atlantic City (New Jersey)
- Lucky Star
- New York City (Chinatown, Manhattan)
- New York City (Pennsylvania Station)
- Philadelphia (30th Street Station)
- Washington, D.C.
- Burlington (Vermont)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South Station Bus Terminal.|
- BoltBus @ South Station
- Boston Express @ South Station
- C&J @ South Station
- Concord Coach @ South Station
- DATTCO @ South Station
- Greyhound @ South Station
- "Plymouth & Brockton Schedule" (PDF). Retrieved October 10, 2019.
- City of Boston website: Find my neighborhood
- Map of Neighborhoods of Boston
- "Gemdale Properties & Investment and Hines Partner on Transformational Boston Development". Hines.com. May 13, 2016. Retrieved 30 April 2017.
- South Station Bus Terminal / MBTA, LAZ Parking Limited