South Garo Hills district
South Garo Hills district
Location of South Garo Hills district in Meghalaya
|• Vidhan Sabha constituencies||7|
|• Total||1,850 km2 (710 sq mi)|
|• Density||77/km2 (200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+05:30 (IST)|
In 2006 the Ministry of Panchayati Raj named South Garo Hills one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the three districts in Meghalaya currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
South Garo Hills district is divided into four blocks:
According to the 2011 census South Garo Hills district has a population of 142,334, roughly equal to the nation of Saint Lucia. This gives it a ranking of 604th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 77 inhabitants per square kilometre (200/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 41.19%. South Garo Hills has a sex ratio of 944 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 72.39%.
Flora and faunaEdit
In 1986 South Garo Hills district became home to Balphakram National Park, which has an area of 220 km2 (84.9 sq mi). It shares Nokrek National Park (47 km2 (18.1 sq mi), established in 1986) with two other districts.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (8 September 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme" (PDF). National Institute of Rural Development. Archived from the original (PDF) on 5 April 2012. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- Meghalaya Administrative Divisions (PDF) (Map). The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India, New Delhi, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2011. Retrieved 29 September 2011.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 1 October 2011.
Saint Lucia 161,557 July 2011 est.
- M. Paul Lewis, ed. (2009). "A'Tong: A language of India". Ethnologue: Languages of the World (16th ed.). Dallas, Texas: SIL International. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- Indian Ministry of Forests and Environment. "Protected areas: Meghalaya". Archived from the original on 23 August 2011. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- Indian Ministry of Forests and Environment. "Protected areas: Mizoram". Archived from the original on 23 August 2011. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South Garo Hills district.|
|This article related to a location in the Indian state of Meghalaya is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|