South32 is a mining and metals company headquartered in Perth, Western Australia. It was spun out of BHP Billiton on 25 May 2015. The company is listed on the Australian Securities Exchange with secondary listings on the Johannesburg bourse and the London market.
|Traded as||ASX: S32|
|Founded||May 25, 2015|
|Revenue||US$6,948 million (2015)|
|US$1,001 million (2015)|
|US$575 million (2015)|
|Total assets||US$11,035 million (2015)|
|Total equity||US$12,247 million (2015)|
Number of employees
The company is a producer of alumina, aluminium, manganese, silver, zinc, lead, nickel, coking coal, and thermal coal.
South32 has operations in Australia, South Africa, Mozambique and Colombia, and has a minority partnership (36%) in an alumina refinery in Brazil.
- Worsley Alumina at Worsley, Western Australia (86% owned) is a bauxite mine and alumina refinery. A portion of the alumina is exported to South32's African smelters for conversion into aluminium.
- Illawarra Metallurgical Coal near Wollongong, New South Wales operates three underground metallurgical coal mines;
- Australia Manganese (60 per cent interest); GEMCO mine on Groote Eylandt in the Northern Territory and TEMCO alloy plant in Bell Bay, Tasmania;
- Cannington Mine silver, lead and zinc mine, 200km southeast of Mount Isa, Queensland;
- Cerro Matoso nickel mine and smelter in Northern Colombia (99.94%)
- Hillside aluminium smelter in South Africa at Richards Bay, KwaZulu-Natal;
- Mozal aluminium smelter (47.1%) in Mozambique
- Energy Coal includes 4 coal mines and associated processing near the towns of eMalahleni and Middelburg in Mpumalanga in South Africa.
- The Wessels underground and Mamatwan opencut manganese mines at Hotazel in the Northern Cape.
- Metalloys smelters at Meyerton, Gauteng in South Africa.
- Hermosa Project, formerly owned by Richard Warke-led Arizona Mining Inc.
- "South32 Demerger Implemented". bhpbilliton.com. Archived from the original on 1 November 2015. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- "South32 debuts as Australia's third-biggest miner with market value of $11.3b". Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- "Australia Region". South32. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- "Africa". South32. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- "South32 buys Arizona Mining for US$1.3 billion". 18 June 2018.