Sophia Eleonore of Hesse-Darmstadt
Sophia Eleonore of Hesse-Darmstadt (7 January 1634 in Darmstadt – 7 October 1663 in Bingenheim, now part of Echzell), was Landgravine of Hesse-Darmstadt by birth and by marriage Landgravine of Hesse-Homburg.
|Sophia Eleonore of Hesse-Darmstadt|
|Born||7 January 1634|
|Died||7 October 1663 (aged 29)|
Bingenheim, now part of Echzell
|Noble family||House of Hesse|
|Spouse(s)||William Christoph, Landgrave of Hesse-Homburg|
|Father||George II, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt|
|Mother||Sophia Eleonore of Saxony|
In Darmstadt on 21 April 1650 Sophia Eleonore married to her cousin, Landgrave William Christoph of Hesse-Homburg (1625–1681). On the occasion of her wedding, her father gave her the district and castle of Bingenheim. William Christoph preferred Bingenheim to his castle in Homburg, so the family mostly lived in Bingenheim and William Christoph was sometimes called the Landgrave of Hesse-Bingenheim. Her father had promised that her male descendants would be allowed to keep Bingenheim after her death, however, only two daughters survived their father. This led to a dispute between Hesse-Darmstadt and Hesse-Homburg about the ownership of Bingenheim, which was finally settled by Elisabeth Dorothea, who was acting as regent of Hesse-Darmstadt.
Sophia Eleonore gave birth 12 children, but only three survived infancy:
- Frederick, Hereditary Landgrave of Hesse-Homburg (Darmstadt, 12 March 1651 – Homburg v.d.Höhe, 27 July 1651).
- Christine Wilhelmine (Bingenheim, 30 June 1653 – Grabow, 16 May 1722), married Frederick, Duke of Mecklenburg-Grabow.
- Leopold George, Hereditary Landgrave of Hesse-Homburg (Bingenheim, 25 October 1654 – Schloss Gravenstein, Schleswig-Holstein, 26 February 1675), died unmarried.
- Frederick (Bingenheim, 5 September 1655 – Bingenheim, 6 September 1655).
- William (Bingenheim, 13 August 1656 – Bingenheim, 4 September 1656).
- Stillborn son (23 June 1657).
- Charles William (Bingenheim, 6 May 1658 – Bingenheim, 13 December 1658).
- Philipp (Bingenheim, 20 June 1659 – Bingenheim, 6 October 1659).
- Magdalene Sophie (Bingenheim, 24 April 1660 – Braunfels, 22 March 1720), married William Maurice, Count of Solms-Braunfels; among their children: Christine Charlotte of Solms-Braunfels and Frederick William, Prince of Solms-Braunfels.
- Stillborn son (7 June 1661).
- Frederick William (Bingenheim, 29 November 1662 – Homburg, 5 March 1663).
- Stillborn son (7 October 1663).
She died in Bingenheim aged 29, following complications in her last childbirth.
- Sophie Eleonore Landgraefin v.Hessen-Darmstadt in: Genealogy Database by Herbert Stoyan [retrieved 18 November 2014].
- Johann I. von Gerning: Die Lahn- und Main-Gegenden von Embs bis Frankfurt, p. 148, Online
|This article about a member of the German nobility is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|