Sonipat, anciently named Swarnprastha, is a city and a Municipal Corporation in Haryana state of India. It comes under the National Capital Region and is around 20 kilometres (12 mi) from Delhi. It is also around 214 km(128 miles) southwest of Chandigarh, the state capital. The Yamuna River runs along the eastern boundary.
|• M.P.||Ramesh Chander Kaushik (BJP)|
|• M.L.A.||Kavita Jain (BJP)|
|Elevation||224.15 m (735.40 ft)|
|• Additional official||English, Punjabi|
|Time zone||UTC+5.30 (Indian Standard Time)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-HR|
|Vehicle registration||HR-10, HR-69(Commercial Vehicles), HR-99(Temporary), DL-14 Sonipat (Delhi NCR)|
|Sex Ratio||1.19 ♂/♀|
On 22 December 1972, Sonipat was created a full-fledged district. It lies on Delhi Western Peripheral Expressway, Eastern Peripheral Expressway (NE II) and Grand Trunk Road (NH 44) as well as the planned Delhi–Sonipat–Panipat Regional Rapid Transit System and It is also connected by the under implementation Delhi Metro extension of Yellow line to be completed in Phase IV by March 2022.
According to legend, Sonipat was earlier known as Sonprastha, which later on became Swarnprastha (lit. 'Golden City'). Later, the name Swarnprastha changed into Swarnpath, and then to its current form, Sonipat.
Reference to the city comes in the epic Mahabharata as Swarnprastha. It was one of the five Prastha demanded by Pandavas as the price of peace from Duryodhan in lieu of the kingdom Hastinapur. The other four Prastha were Panprastha (Panipat), Baghprastha (Baghpat), Tilprastha (Tilpat) and Indraprastha (Delhi).[page needed]
Geography and topographyEdit
Sonipat is located at .
|Climate data for Sonipat|
|Average high °C (°F)||21
|Average low °C (°F)||8
|Average rainfall mm (inches)||19.7
|Average relative humidity (%)||66||58||47||32||35||53||68||71||66||55||51||63||55|
|Source #1: http://www.myweather2.com |
|Source #2: http://www.meoweather.com |
As of 2011[update] the population of Sonipat, within the city limits, was 278,149. The urban agglomeration, which includes suburbs outside of the city's jurisdiction, had a total population of 289,333. It is called Jatland due to the majority of Jat people.
Places of interestEdit
Khwaja Khizr TombEdit
The Khwaja Khizr Tomb situated in Jatwara houses the remains of the saint and son of Darya Khan who lived during the rule of Ibrahim Lodhi. The structure was built between 1522 and 1525 AD. The tomb stands on an elevated platform and is one of the few monuments where red sandstone along with ‘kankar’ blocks have been used. The ceiling is decorative and made of multicolor floral designs. The cenotaph chamber is surrounded by a dome-shaped structure which rests on a small drum of octagonal shape. Now the site is under the protection of Archaeological Survey of India and surrounded by four acres (1.6 ha) of gardens.
The main water system in the district is the Yamuna River and the irrigation canals flowing out of it. The river flows besides the rural belt in the eastern side of district. It also acts as a natural boundary between the states of Haryana and Uttar Pradesh.
Sonipat is famous for its monsoon time sweet dish ghevar which has its roots of origin here. Also its Dhabas (local restaurants) at Murthal on Grand Trunk Road, Pyarelal ke Pede and Lala Matu Ram ki Jaleba from Gohana are very much popular.
There are two HSIIDC industrial estates, one each at Sonepat city and Kundli. The development of Sonepat Industrial area in the city started in the 1950s with Atlas Cycle. Since then, many small and big industries have been established here. Sonipat has four industrial areas (Sonipat, Kundli, Rai, Bari) which contain numerous small- and medium-scale industries. Atlas, E.C.E. or the Birla Factory, OSRAM India (formerly part of E.C.E., but in October 1998 it was acquired by OSRAM) were few large scale industries name which were in city (now they have been re-located to Rai/Kundli/bari industrial areas).
Despite recent industrial development, Haryana is primarily an agricultural state. The main crops are wheat, rice, sugarcane, cotton, oilseeds, pulses, barley, maize, millet, etc. Presently, rice and sugarcane cultivation is undertaken in the Khadar area and oilseeds, horticultural plants, vegetables and flowers, is cultivated in the upland plains of district. The main sources of irrigation are tube wells and canals. There are two main types of crops: Rabi and Kharif. The major Kharif crops of Haryana are rice, jowar, bajra, maize, cotton, jute, sugarcane, Baby corn, Sweet corn, sesame and groundnuts. For these crops the ground is prepared in April and May and the seeds are sown at the commencement of rains in June. The crops are ready for harvesting by the beginning of November. The major Rabi crops are wheat, tobacco, pulses, linseed, rapeseed and mustard. The ground is prepared by the end of October or the beginning of November and the crops are harvested by March. Dairy farming forms an essential part of the rural economy. Animal husbandry has been taken up as an integral component of diversified agriculture.
Rajiv Gandhi Education CityEdit
The Rajiv Gandhi Education City, Sonipat (RGEC) at Kundli is project by Government of Haryana to develop a hub of higher education institutes in 5000acres of land. Indian Institute of Technology Sonipat has already taken possession of 50 acres of land offered for the extension of its Delhi campus. Many Universities have started their projects to establish their campus.
- Deenbandhu Chhotu Ram University Of Science and Technology
- Ashoka University
- O. P. Jindal Global University
- Bhagat Phool Singh Mahila Vishwavidyalaya
- SRM University, Haryana
- National Institute of Food Technology Entrepreneurship and Management
- IIT Delhi, Sonipat campus
- IIIT Sonipat
- Rishihood University
- World University of Design
- National Law University￼
- Central Institute of Plastics Engineering & Technology, Murthal
- Indian Institute of Information Technology, Sonipat
The Sonipat Hindu Educational & Charitable Society and Tika Ram Education Society has been active since 1914 and has established 17 institutions offering programmes at secondary, senior secondary, graduate and post graduate levels in the fields of science, arts, commerce, pharmacy, education, architecture, engineering and technology.
Shri Sanatan Dharam Sabha is another charitable trust which isactive in the field of education in the city. It runs the Gita Vidya Mandir College of Pharmacy and Gita Vidya Mandir Girls College.
There are many colleges in the fields of arts, commerce, hospitality, pharmacy, education, architecture, engineering, technology and management.
The Sports Authority of India has established the Northern Regional Center (the SAI, Ch. Devi Lal Regional Center) at Sonipat to provide world-class facilities for athletes (especially wrestlers).
In July 1973 the government established the Motilal Nehru School of Sports, Rai, Sonipat to provide education facilities with extra emphasis on sports. It trains athletes in hockey, basketball, lawn tennis, horse riding, gymnastics, swimming, rifle shooting, volleyball, boxing, cricket and football.
- In a first-of-its-kind initiative, the Union ministry of road transport and highways has decided to set up a bus port on the pattern of an airport in Sonipat.
- The proposed bus stand will be an ultra-modern ‘bus port’, with infrastructure at par with an international airport.
- To be constructed under design, built, finance, operate and transfer model, new bus ports will have digital display, variable message sign boards, CCTV camera, surveillance system,delux waiting room, tourist information center, clock room, restaurant, food court, plaza,budget hotel, multiplex, administrative office, parcel room, maintenance workshop, fuel station etc facilities.
Sonipat Lok SabhaEdit
Sonipat (Lok Sabha constituency) is one of the 10 Lok Sabha (Parliamentary) constituencies in Haryana state in northern India.
This section does not cite any sources. (May 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Sanchit Balhara (Bollywood score composer)
- Amit Kumar Dahiya (wrestler)
- Seema Antil (discus thrower)
- Yogeshwar Dutt (wrestler)
- Padam Singh Dahiya (Politician)
- Vinod Kumar Dahiya (wrestler)
- Pardeep Narwal (Kabbadi)
- Manushi Chhillar (Model, Winner of Miss World 2017)
- Rohit Dahiya (Cricketer)
- Vikas Dahiya (Indian Hockey)
- Sakshi Malik (Wrestler)
- Himanshu Malik (Bollywood Actor)
- Aakash Dahiya (Bollywood Actor)
- Vivek Dahiya (Actor)
- Meghna Malik (Actress)
- "Sonipat City Population Census 2011 | Haryana". www.census2011.co.in.
- "Report of the Commissioner for linguistic minorities: 52nd report (July 2014 to June 2015)" (PDF). Commissioner for Linguistic Minorities, Ministry of Minority Affairs, Government of India. p. 24. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 November 2016. Retrieved 23 June 2019.
- IANS (28 January 2010). "Haryana grants second language status to Punjabi". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 23 June 2019.
- Gupta, Ramesh Chandra (1985). Urban geography of Delhi-Shahadra. Bhavna Prakashan.
- Kauśika, Rs̥hi Jaiminī; Baruā, Jaiminī Kauśika (1967). Maiṃ apane Māravāṛī samāja ko pyāra karatā hūm̐ (in Hindi). Jaiminī-Prakāśana.
- Sharma, Chandrapal (1 September 2017). भारतीय संस्कृति और मूल अंकों के स्वर : अंक चक्र : Bhartiya Sanskriti aur Mool Anko ke Swar Ank Chakra (in Hindi). Diamond Pocket Books Pvt Ltd. ISBN 9789352784875.
- Gupta, Ramesh Chandra (1985). Urban geography of Delhi-Shahadra. Bhavna Prakashan.
- "Maps, Weather, and Airports for Sonipat, India". www.fallingrain.com.
- "January Climate History for Sonipat | Local | India".
- "Meoweather.com Is For Sale". www.meoweather.com.
- "सोनीपत लोकसभा सीट: जाट लैंड में कांग्रेस ने पूर्व CM पर लगाया है दांव– News18 हिंदी". News18 India. 12 May 2019. Retrieved 16 June 2019.
- "Loksabha Election 2019 BJP has to do hard work for decide candidates in jatland of haryana". www.jagran.com (in Hindi). Retrieved 16 June 2019.
- "Atlas Cycles (Haryana) Ltd., Sonepat (India)". www.atlascyclesonepat.com.
- "ECE Industries Ltd". www.eceindustriesltd.com.
- Osram Sylvania. "OSRAM Americas | OSRAM SYLVANIA Homepage". Osramindia.com. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- "皮膚科医の仕事について知る～今求められる皮膚科医とは～". 皮膚科医の仕事について知る～今求められる皮膚科医とは～.
- "Motilal Nehru School of SportsRai". Motilal Nehru School of SportsRai.
- "World-class bus port to come up in Sonipat - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- "सोनीपत में बनेगा प्रदेश का पहला बस पोर्ट". दैनिक ट्रिब्यून (in Hindi). 16 March 2019. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- "बस टर्मिनल पर फिर से फंसा पेंच, एनएचएआई के अधिकारियों ने कहा- डबल रास्ते पर होनी चाहिए जमीन". Dainik Bhaskar (in Hindi). 12 December 2018. Retrieved 6 June 2019.