Somoza family(Redirected from Somoza)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
República de Nicaragua
|President of Nicaragua|
|Historical era||Cold War|
|January 1 1937|
|July 17 1979|
|ISO 3166 code||NI|
Anastasio Somoza García assumed the presidency after luring rebel leader Augusto César Sandino to peace talks, and murdering Sandino soon afterwards. Although they only held the presidency for 30 of those 43 years, they were the power behind the other presidents of the time through their control of the National Guard. Their regime was overthrown by the Sandinista National Liberation Front during the Nicaraguan Revolution.
Three of the Somozas served as President of Nicaragua. They were:
- Anastasio Somoza García (1896–1956; President 1937–1947, 1950–1956), the father.
- Luis Somoza Debayle (1922–1967, President 1956–1963), his legitimate eldest son.
- Anastasio Somoza Debayle (1925–1980, President 1967–1972, 1974–1979), his second legitimate son.
Other members of the Somoza family include:
- Lillian Somoza Debayle
- Hope Portocarrero, wife of Anastasio Somoza Debayle
- Anastasio Somoza Portocarrero, son of Anastasio Somoza Debayle
- Bernabé Somoza, a 19th-century rebel
- Anastasia Somoza, a 21st-century disability rights advocate who appeared at the 2016 Democratic Convention in favor of Hillary Clinton
- Luis C. Somoza
- Alexa D. Somoza