Something I Need
"Something I Need" is a song recorded by American pop rock band OneRepublic. It was released on August 25, 2013 through Mosley Music and Interscope Records as the fourth single from their third studio album, Native (2013). The song was written and produced by Ryan Tedder and Benny Blanco. It peaked at number six in Australia, where it has been certified 3× Platinum, and number four in New Zealand, where it has been certified Gold.
|"Something I Need"|
|Single by OneRepublic|
|from the album Native|
|Released||August 25, 2013|
|OneRepublic singles chronology|
On August 23, 2013, in a response to a question from an Australian fan on Twitter, OneRepublic revealed that "Something I Need" would be the next single released from Native. The track debuted on Australian radio on August 25 and premiered on U.S. radio in mid-September.
The song peaked at number six in Australia, where it has been certified 3x Platinum for sales of over 210,000. In New Zealand, it charted at number four and has been certified Gold after selling 7,500 copies. The song has also charted at number one in Poland, number five in Austria, number 72 in Germany and number 21 in Switzerland.
The official music video was filmed in September 2013 and was directed by Cameron Duddy. Speaking about the video via their Twitter page, OneRepublic said: "The video for 'Something I Need' will hands down be the craziest video we've done. And funniest. And hopefully best. Time for a risk." The music video was released on October 7, 2013. In the video, a man is repeatedly attacked by a dog in slow motion, preventing him from asking his crush out.
Credits and personnelEdit
- Recorded at Black Rock Studio, Santorini, Greece
- Additional recordings at Lotzah Matzah Studios, New York City, New York; Patriot Studios, Denver, Colorado; Downtown Studios, New York City, New York, and Audiophile Studios, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Mixed at MixStar Studios, Virginia Beach, Virginia
- Mastered at Sterling Sound, New York
- Ryan Tedder – songwriter, producer, instrumentation, programming, engineer
- Benny Blanco – songwriter, producer, instrumentation, programming, backing vocals
- Serban Ghenea – mixer
- John Hanes – engineered for mix
- Phil Seaford – assistant engineered for mix
- Smith Carlson – engineer
- Chris Sclafani – engineer, backing vocals
- Scott "Yarmov" Yarmovsky – assistant engineer, backing vocals
- OneRepublic – backing vocals
- Danielle Edinburgh Wilson – backing vocals
- Margaret-Anne Davis – backing vocals
- Toni Skidmore – backing vocals
- Jermon Wilson – backing vocals
- Ryan's friends and family after a night of drinking – backing vocals (legend)
- Chris Gehringer – mastering
- Will Quinnell – mastering
Charts and certificationsEdit
Ben Haenow versionEdit
|"Something I Need"|
|Single by Ben Haenow|
|from the album Ben Haenow|
|Released||December 14, 2014|
|Recorded||2014; Sarm West Studios (London, England)|
|Ben Haenow singles chronology|
In December 2014, Ben Haenow, winner of the eleventh series of The X Factor, released a cover version of "Something I Need" as his winner's single after he won. The song was released as a digital download in the United Kingdom on December 14, with a physical equivalent being released three days later. "Something I Need" was produced by American recording artist John Ryan, who has previously worked with One Direction. All proceeds from the single will go to the children's charity organisation Together for Short Lives.
On December 12, 2014, the winner's singles for each of the three finalists of eleventh series of The X Factor were revealed. Haenow and Fleur East would record "Something I Need", whilst Andrea Faustini would record Whitney Houston's "I Didn't Know My Own Strength". On December 14, Haenow and eventual runner-up East both performed the song live on The X Factor final.
This version of the song substitutes the words "die" and "killing" in the pre-chorus and chorus in favor of the words "here", "live" and "loving", presumably to make it more palatable for The X Factor audience, particularly younger viewers.
The song debuted at number two in the Republic of Ireland, beaten to the top spot by Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars' "Uptown Funk" (which ironically received an early release because it was performed on The X Factor by eventual runner-up Fleur East). It became the first X Factor winner's single to miss the number one spot in Ireland since Steve Brookstein's "Against All Odds" in 2004. In the UK, the song debuted at number one on the UK Singles Chart, becoming the 2014 Christmas number one. The song sold 214,239 copies in its first week, becoming the second-fastest selling single of 2014 (behind Band Aid 30's "Do They Know It's Christmas?"). It was also the year's 58th best-selling song. ("Uptown Funk" would finish at number two on Christmas 2014, and at the same time would become the final number one song of 2014 and first of 2015 in Australia, Canada and the United States in addition to Ireland).
|1.||"Something I Need"||John Ryan||3:46|
|1.||"Something I Need"||Ryan||3:46|
|2.||"Jealous Guy" (Live The X Factor Performance)||Julian Bunetta||2:11|
|3.||"Highway to Hell" (Live The X Factor Performance)||Bunetta||2:10|
|4.||"Man in the Mirror" (Live The X Factor Performance)||Bunetta||2:11|
Credits and personnelEdit
- Ben Haenow – lead vocals, backing vocals
- Ryan Tedder – songwriting
- Benny Blanco – songwriting
- John Ryan – guitar, keyboards, producer, programming, backing vocals
- DIVA Singers – choir
- Ash Howes – mixer
- Matt Brind – strings arrangement
- Mat Bartram – recording
- Ronan Phelan – assistant engineer
- Isobel Griffiths – contractor
- Dick Beetham – mastering
Credits adapted from CD single.
Charts and certificationsEdit
|United Kingdom||December 14, 2014||Digital download||Syco|
|United Kingdom||December 17, 2014||CD single|
- OneRepublic [@OneRepublic] (August 23, 2013). ""@PCarlos22: @OneRepublic something I need #38 iTunes in Australia! Next single??" YES, next single and DAMN can't believe 38 already!!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Australian-charts.com – OneRepublic – Something I Need". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Charts.nz – OneRepublic – Something I Need". Top 40 Singles.
- "NZ Top 40 Singles Chart | The Official New Zealand Music Chart". Nztop40.co.nz. November 11, 2013. Retrieved January 23, 2014.
- OneRepublic [@OneRepublic] (September 7, 2013). "The video for Something I Need will hands down be the craziest video we've done. And funniest. And hopefully best. Time for a risk" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "OneRepublic - Something I Need". YouTube. October 7, 2013. Retrieved October 7, 2013.
- Native (CD booklet). OneRepublic. United States: Mosley Music Group, Interscope Records. 2013.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Austriancharts.at – OneRepublic – Something I Need" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – OneRepublic – Something I Need". GfK Entertainment Charts.
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Airplay Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – OneRepublic – Something I Need". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Utwory, których słuchaliśmy w radiu – Airplay 2014" (in Polish). Polish Society of the Phonographic Industry. Retrieved January 21, 2015.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2014 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "New Zealand single certifications – OneRepublic – Something I Need". Recorded Music NZ.
- "X Factor winner Ben Haenow releases winner's single, Something I Need". 4Music. Archived from the original on December 22, 2014.
- Campbell, Tina (December 21, 2014). "X Factor winner Ben Haenow claims Christmas 2014 number one single". Metro. DMG Media. Retrieved December 21, 2014.
- Baillie, Katie (December 12, 2014). "Winner's singles revealed: X Factor's Fleur East, Andrea Faustini and Ben Haenow share their song choices". Metro. DMG Media. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- Mohan, Isabel (December 14, 2014). "X Factor 2014 final: Ben Haenow beats Fleur East". The Daily Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- Earnshaw, Jessica (December 19, 2014). "Ben Haenow revealed to be on course to get Christmas number one". Daily Mail. DMG Media. Retrieved December 22, 2014.
- "National Television Awards 2015: Nominations in full as Mary Berry battles Simon Cowell". The Independent.
- "X Factor winner Ben Haenow denied Irish No 1 spot". RTE.ie. December 19, 2014.
- "X Factor's Ben Haenow crowned 2014 Official Christmas Number 1". Official Charts Company.
- Jones, Alan (December 22, 2014). "Official Charts Analysis: X Factor's Ben Haenow lands the Christmas No.1". Music Week. Intent Media. Retrieved September 17, 2015.
- Copsey, Rob (December 31, 2014). "The Official Top 100 Biggest Songs of 2014 revealed". Official Charts Company. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- "Something I Need - Single by Ben Haenow". iTunes (GB).
- "Something I Need by Ben Haenow: Amazon.co.uk: Music". Amazon.co.uk.
- "Ben Haenow – Chart history" Billboard Euro Digital Songs for Ben Haenow. Retrieved October 23, 2015.
- "Chart Track: Week 51, 2014". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "EMA Top 10 Airplay: Week Ending 2015-03-24". Entertainment Monitoring Africa. Retrieved 16 September 2015.
- Sony Music Africa [@SonyMusicAfrica] (February 16, 2015). "Congratulations to @Bhaenow! "Something I Need" - his #1 debut single - has just achieved GOLD sales in South Africa!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Justin, Myers (August 23, 2016). "The winner takes it all? The biggest selling X Factor winner's singles revealed". Official Charts Company. Retrieved August 23, 2016.
- "British single certifications – Ben Haenow – Something I Need". British Phonographic Industry. Select singles in the Format field. Select Platinum in the Certification field. Type Something I Need in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "iTunes - Music - Something I Need - Single by Ben Haenow". iTunes (IE).
- "Something I Need". amazon.co.uk.