|Headquarters||San Francisco, California|
Del Ponte received inspiration for Soma while hosting a dinner party. He was too embarrassed to display his plastic water filter on the table, and when he attempted to decant the water into a glass carafe, the lid flew off the pitcher and water spilled on the floor. While cleaning up the mess with a dinner guest, Ido Leffler (the founder of Yes To, Inc), the two resolved to create a water filter that is well-designed, functional, eco-friendly, and delivered via subscription.
In July 2013, Soma announced a $3.7 million seed round of funding, from investors including Baseline Ventures, Forerunner Ventures, Lerer Ventures, Collaborative Fund, Cowboy Ventures, Vast Ventures, Mindful Investors, and Tim Ferriss. Soma opened ordering to the public on September 16, 2013.
The Soma water filtration system consists of a glass carafe and a biodegradable water filter. The carafe is contoured to fit hands and has a beveled edge to prevent spilling. The filters are made from Malaysian coconut shells, vegan silk, and food-based PLA plastic, and are delivered to customers via a subscription service every two months. The filter was designed by David Beeman, who created the water formulas for Starbucks and Peet's Coffee. Soma has also partnered with charity: water to donate clean drinking water to those in need through the sale of every filter.
The New York Times called Soma a "welcome change to the status quo" and Inc. Magazine named Soma one of the "most audacious companies of 2013." Soma has also been profiled in Wired, Men’s Journal, GQ, Forbes, Business Insider, Mashable, Details, Greatist, Gear Patrol, Thrillist, Good.is, and The Huffington Post.
- Viladas, Pilar. The Daily Gift: Soma Water Filter. The New York Times. November 10, 2013.
- Fenzi, Francesca Louise. Purer Than Pur, More Elegant Than Brita. Inc. Magazine. April 18, 2013.
- Schwartz, Ariel. Forget Brita: Building A Better Water Filter. Fast Company.
- Ferriss, Tim. Hacking Kickstarter: How to Raise $100,000 in 10 Days. Four Hour Workweek'.
- Hickman, Matt. Bye bye, Brita: Sleek Soma water filter takes Kickstarter by storm. Mother Nature Network. December 14, 2012.
- Soma: Beautifully innovative all-natural water filters. Kickstarter.
- Brooke, Eliza. Charitable Water Filter Maker Soma Raises $3.7M Seed Round. TechCrunch. July 16, 2013.
- Schwartz, Ariel. Buy This Gorgeous Better-Than-Brita Water Filter That Began On Kickstarter. Fast Company. September 16, 2013.
- Steele, Lauren (2019-08-27). "6 everyday products that redefine eco-friendly design". Fast Company. Retrieved 2020-12-28.
- Home, Full Circle. "Full Circle Home Acquires Soma Combining Sustainability And Style". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2020-12-28.
- Product Spotlight: Soma Water. Dwell Magazine.
- WATCH: Clean Drinking Water for All. The Huffington Post. September 16, 2013.
- Clendaniel, Morgan. The Top 14 Design Stories Of 2012. Fast Company.
- The Green Water Filter. Men's Journal. August 16, 2013.
- Soma backers lap up stylish water filter. San Francisco Chronicle. August 23, 2013.
- Clean Water, Meet Clean Lines. GQ. September 18, 2013.
- Groth, Aimee. New Startup Soma Water Defines One Of The Biggest Trends In Silicon Valley. Business Insider. December 4, 2012.
- Li, Anita. All-Natural Compostable Water Filter Promises 'Superior Taste'. Mashable.
- Breeneon, Sophia. News: Fancy New Soma Water Filter Is A Better Brita. Greatist. December 11, 2012.
- Lynn, Sarah. Innovative Home Water Filter Made of…Coconut?! Archived 2013-06-29 at Archive.today Gorgeously Green. December 12, 2012.
- Burchette, Jordan. A pretty pitcher for purists. Thrillist. December 3, 2012.
- We Put a Lot of Thought into Water So You Don't Have To. December 5, 2012.
- Soma Water Filter Kickstarter Poised To Give Brita Some Competition (VIDEO). Huffington Post. December 10, 2012.
- Forbes Up And Comers: Mike Del Ponte, Jessica Rosenkrantz, Andrew Laffoon. Forbes. December 24, 2012.
- Yuan, LinYee. Soma: Drink Better Water with a 100% Compostable Filter. Core 77. December 18, 2012.