Solomon Islands at the 2012 Summer Paralympics
The Solomon Islands made their Paralympic Games début at the 2012 Summer Paralympics in London, United Kingdom, from August 29 to September 9, 2012. The country sent one athlete, shot putter Hellen Saohaga. She finished 15th out of 19 competitors, and did not medal at these Games.
|Solomon Islands at the|
2012 Summer Paralympics
|NPC||Solomon Islands Paralympics Committee|
|Competitors||1 in 1 sport|
|Flag bearer||Hellen Saohaga|
|Summer Paralympics appearances|
The Solomon Islands Paralympics Federation was recognised as a full member of the International Paralympic Committee in 2011, granting the country the right to send a delegation to the London Games. The Solomons initially planned to send athletes to compete in track and field and powerlifting events. Among the country's hopefuls were Benjamin Vae in the shot put, who was internationally classified, which was a requirement to compete at the Paralympics.
Ultimately, the country's delegation was composed of a single athlete, Hellen Saohaga (also known as Hellen Tasaunga). She was accompanied by Chef de Mission Casper Pule, team manager Falai Katalake Bare, and coach Fa'amoana Topue. She competed in Brisbane in an international competition during the Queensland Athletic Championships. She was given a universality spot in the Games. She was the country's flag-bearer during the Games' opening ceremony.
Hellen Saohaga, born with malformed legs, competed in the women's shot put, F57 category (for wheelchair athletes). Saohaga had never owned a seated throwing frame, and arrived at the Games without one, assuming the organizers would provide one. Once the Australian Paralympic Committee became aware of the situation, they had one specifically made for her before her event. Of the 19 competitors, Saohaga placed 15th with 298 points.
|Hellen Saohaga||Shot put F57–58||5.23||298||15|
- "Paralympics starts trainings this week". Solomon Star. February 2, 2012. Archived from the original on March 24, 2012. Retrieved August 5, 2018. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Paralympics team London bound". Solomon Star. August 13, 2012. Archived from the original on January 5, 2013. Retrieved August 3, 2018.
- "Helen Proud of Her Aussie Wheels". Solomon Times. Archived from the original on February 2, 2013.
- "Cardiff Pre Games Training Camp" (PDF). Oceania Paralympic Committee. August 18, 2012. Retrieved July 24, 2018.
- "Hellen to carry our flag". Solomon Star. August 26, 2012. Archived from the original on December 16, 2012. Retrieved August 5, 2018.
- "List of Opening Ceremony flag bearers". Paralympic.org. August 29, 2012. Retrieved July 2, 2018.
- McDowall, Carolyn (September 10, 2012). "London 2012 Summer Paralympic Games – The Power Olympics". The Culture Concept. Retrieved July 24, 2018.
- "Helen slowly acclimatizing". Solomon Star. August 23, 2012. Archived from the original on August 25, 2012. Retrieved August 5, 2018.
- "Women's Shot Put F57/58 – Results". Paralympic.org. Retrieved August 5, 2018.