Sofía Daccarett Char (born April 10, 1993), known professionally as Sofia Carson, is an American actress and singer. Her first appearance on television was as a guest star on the Disney Channel series Austin & Ally. In 2015, she appeared as Evie, the daughter of the Evil Queen, in the Disney Channel Original Movie Descendants, and later reprised her role in Descendants 2 and Descendants 3. In 2016, she appeared as Lola Perez in Adventures in Babysitting, Melanie Sanchez in Tini: The Movie, and Tessa in A Cinderella Story: If the Shoe Fits. In 2019, Carson starred in the Freeform drama series Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists.
Carson in August 2017
Sofía Daccarett Char
April 10, 1993
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, U.S.
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Alma mater||University of California, Los Angeles|
Carson was born in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, to José F. Daccarett and Laura Char Carson, who moved to Florida from Colombia. She chose the artistic name "Carson" after her American maternal grandmother, Lauraine Carson. Through her mother, Carson is related to the Char family of Colombian politicians.
She attended St. Hugh School and graduated from Carrollton School of the Sacred Heart in Miami. She attended In Motion Dance Studio, where she was part of the IMPAC Youth Ensemble program, competing all over the United States. She subsequently attended UCLA, majoring in communications with a minor in French.
In 2012, Carson was signed with BMI as a "singer-songwriter". Her acting career was launched in 2014 when she was cast as guest star, playing Chelsea, on the Disney Channel series Austin & Ally. A few months later, Carson was cast as recurring guest star, playing Soleil, on MTV's series Faking It. In 2014, she was cast in a starring role in the Disney Channel Original Movie Descendants, in which she plays Evie, the daughter of the Evil Queen from Snow White and would later do a version of the soundtrack.
On January 9, 2015, Carson was cast in the co-lead role in the upcoming Disney Channel Original Movie Adventures in Babysitting. Filming began in spring 2015, for an early 2016 television premiere. In March 2016, The Hollywood Reporter announced that Carson landed the leading role in the fourth installment of the A Cinderella Story series, A Cinderella Story: If the Shoe Fits, directed by Michelle Johnston and produced by Dylan Sellers, which was released direct-to-video. In an August 2015 interview Carson stated she was working on her first album. In September 2015 Carson was added on the list of Hollywood Records artists. Previously, some of Disney Channel Europe websites reported the incorporation of Sofia to the label. In March 2016, Hollywood Records and Republic Records officially announced that Sofia had signed a joint worldwide record deal with both companies. Her debut single is "Love Is the Name", an interpolation of Opus' "Live Is Life", and was released on April 8. Carson released a promotional single on August 26, 2016 entitled "I'm Gonna Love You". In January 27, 2017 she released her single "Back to Beautiful" featuring Alan Walker and in February 15, 2017 she released the official music video on YouTube. "Back to Beautiful" was written by Julia Michaels, who also wrote her next single "Ins and Outs". In 2018, Carson was featured in three EDM instant hits: R3hab's "Rumors", Alan Walker's "Different World" and Galantis's "San Francisco", positioning as the most sought after collaborator in this genre.
Carson has performed in NBC's 2015 Thanksgiving Parade, ABC's Disney Parks Christmas Celebration, Univision's Feliz 2016 (New Year's Eve Special) and the 2016 Radio Disney Music Awards, and was a presenter on ABC's Disneyland 60th Anniversary Special. She performed "The Star-Spangled Banner" at the 2017 A Capitol Fourth, an annual concert at the United States Capitol in celebration of Independence Day.
Carson reprised her role as Evie in the 2017 sequel Descendants 2. Carson played the role of Sloane Silver in the second season of Freeform's Famous in Love in 2018. In January 2018, it was announced that Carson would be starring in the television series Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists, in the role of Ava Jalali; it was picked up to series by Freeform in May 2018 and premiered in March 2019. She once again played Evie for Descendants 3, the third installment of the franchise, which premiered on August 2, 2019. In July 2019, it was announced that Carson would portray the role of April in the Netflix dance film Feel the Beat.
In August 2019, Carson was designated as the first Global Ambassador of the Latin GRAMMY Cultural Foundation. Her role includes advocating, promoting, and increasing awareness of the foundation's mission and educational programs. Since its establishment five years ago, the Latin GRAMMY Cultural Foundation has donated more than US$5 million in scholarships, grants, musical instrument donations, and educational events in the United States and Ibero-America.
|2014||Austin & Ally||Chelsea||Episode: "Princesses & Prizes"|
|2014||Faking It||Soleil||Episodes: "We Shall Overcompensate", "Faking Up Is Hard to Do"|
|2015–2017||Descendants: Wicked World||Evie||Main voice role|
|2016–2018||Soy Luna||Herself||3 episodes|
|2016||Walk the Prank||Herself||Episode: "Adventures in Babysitting"|
|2016||Adventures in Babysitting||Lola Perez||Television film|
|2016||Tini: The Movie||Melanie||Film; as Sofía Carson|
|2016||A Cinderella Story: If the Shoe Fits||Tessa / Bella||Direct-to-video film|
|2017||Descendants 2||Evie||Television film|
|2017||Spider-Man||Keemia Marko / Sandgirl||Voice role; 2 episodes|
|2018||Famous in Love||Sloane||4 episodes|
|2019||Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists||Ava Jalali||Main role|
|2019||Celebrity Family Feud||Herself||Contestant|
|2019||Descendants 3||Evie||Television film|
|TBA||Feel the Beat||April||Filming; direct-to-video film|
Awards and nominations
|2016||2016 Premios Juventud||Producers Choice Award||Herself||Nominated|||
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Music: Next Big Thing||Herself||Nominated|||
|2018||Radio Disney Music Awards||Best Crush Song||"Ins and Outs"||Nominated|||
|Imagen Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Descendants 2||Nominated|
|2019||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Drama TV Actress||Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists||Nominated|||
- "La barranquillera Sofía Carson, la actriz de la familia Char". Revista Jetset (in Spanish). April 2014. Archived from the original on June 12, 2018. Retrieved August 31, 2015.
- "Sofia Carson". TV Guide. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- Madeleine Marr (July 30, 2015). "Sofia Carson: Fast Track to Fame". Miami Herald. Retrieved September 2, 2015.
- "Actriz barranquillera Sofía Carson vive un "cuento de hadas" en la película de Disney "Descendants"". El Heraldo. August 3, 2015. Retrieved September 2, 2015. (in Spanish)
- "Actriz de Disney, Sofía Carson, pasa Navidad en Barranquilla". El Heraldo. December 24, 2015. Retrieved September 6, 2016.
- ""Declaro abiertas las fiestas desde ya": Laura Char, reina del Carnaval". El Tiempo. December 9, 1988. Retrieved September 1, 2015. (in Spanish)
- Amanda Rabines (July 29, 2015). "Fort Lauderdale native Sofia Carson stars in Disney Channel's 'Descendants'". Sun-Sentinel. Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- Lucia I. Suarez Sang (July 31, 2015). "Sofia Carson takes on being teenage daughter of the Evil Queen in 'Descendants'". Fox News Latino. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- "BMI Noche Bohemia Showcase Raises Awareness for Mujer de Fé Foundation". BMI.
- Jethro Nededog (April 16, 2014). "Disney's 'Descendants' Casts Newcomer Sofia Carson as Evil Queen's Daughter (Exclusive)". TheWrap. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- Andrea Seikaly (May 23, 2014). "Disney Confirms 'Descendants' Villains". Variety. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- Marc Snetiker (June 16, 2014). "Disney's 'Descendants': Meet the kids of Maleficent, Jafar, and Cruella de Vil". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- Sara Bibel (January 9, 2015). "Disney Channel Greenlights Original Movies 'Invisible Sister' Starring Rowan Blanchard & Paris Berelc & 'Further Adventures in Babysitting' Starring Sabrina Carpenter & Sofia Carson". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- Kit Borys (March 1, 2016). "'Descendants' Star Sofia Carson Nabs Lead for 'Cinderella Story: If the Shoe Fits' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 16, 2016.
- Elizabeth Wagmeister (March 2, 2016). "Freeform Nabs TV Rights for Sofia Carson's 'Cinderella Story' Sequel". Variety. Retrieved March 16, 2016.
- "All hail Disney's evil queen Sofia Carson". The Citizen. Retrieved August 28, 2015.
- "Artists - Hollywood Records". Hollywood Records. Retrieved October 10, 2016.
- Backstage - Disney Channel Italy (in Italian)
- DCFanzone - Disney Channel Denmark (in Danish)
- Bryan Cantor (March 29, 2016). "Sofia Carson's Debut Single "Love Is the Name" Makes Radio Premiere On 4/7". Headline Planet.
- "Adventures in Babysitting - Movies, 2016 [Synopsis]". disneyabcpress.com. ABC Television Group. Archived from the original on April 13, 2016. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- Gore, Sydney. "Sofia Carson Opens Up About The "Ins And Outs" Of Her Career". MTV News. Retrieved December 31, 2018.
- "Alan Walker Breaks Down Debut Album 'Different World': Exclusive". Billboard. Retrieved December 31, 2018.
- "R3HAB Breaks Down His 16-Track Album 'The Wave': Exclusive". Billboard. Retrieved December 31, 2018.
- "Galantis and Sofia Carson Team Up For New Track 'San Francisco': Listen". Billboard. Retrieved December 31, 2018.
- "S2017: Sofia Carson Performs the National Anthem", PBS, July 18, 2017.
- Ross A. Lincoln (April 10, 2016). "'Descendants 2' Greenlighted By Disney Channel For 2017, New Characters Added". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 8, 2016.
- Lauren Piester (April 30, 2017). "The First Descendants 2 Trailer & Music Video Are Here! Dove Cameron, Sofia Carson and More Stars Sound Off". E! News.
- Nast, Condé. "Another Disney Channel Star Will Be on Bella Thorne's "Famous In Love"". Teen Vogue.
- Denise Petski (January 29, 2018). "'Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists': Sofia Carson Cast In Freeform Drama Pilot". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 29, 2018.
- Samantha Highfill (January 29, 2018). "Pretty Little Liars spin-off adds Descendants star". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved January 29, 2018.
- Andy Swift (December 4, 2017). "Pretty Little Liars Spinoff: Meet the Perfectionists Joining Ali and Mona". TVLine. Retrieved May 14, 2018.
- Denise Petski (May 14, 2018). "'Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists' Picked Up To Series At Freeform". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 14, 2018.
- Jeunesse, Marilyn La. "TV Shows Coming Out in 2019 That We Can Hardly Wait For". Teen Vogue. Retrieved December 31, 2018.
- "The 19 Most-Anticipated New Scripted TV Shows of 2019". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 31, 2018.
- Johnson, Zach (June 1, 2018). "Descendants 3 First Look: See Carlos, Evie, Jay and Mal's Makeovers". E!. Retrieved June 5, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (July 26, 2019). "Sofia Carson To Topline Netflix Family Dance Film 'Feel The Beat'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 27, 2019.
- McNary, Dave (July 26, 2019). "Sofia Carson Starring in Netflix's Dance Movie 'Feel the Beat'". Variety. Retrieved July 27, 2019.
- "Sofia Carson Named First Global Ambassador For Latin Grammy Cultural Foundation". Billboard. Retrieved August 9, 2019.
- "Sofía Carson será la embajadora global de la fundación cultural del Latin GRAMMY". Revista COSAS México (in Spanish). August 8, 2019. Retrieved August 8, 2019.
- "Conoce a los personajes de Tini: El Gran Cambio de Violetta". Azteca 7. March 18, 2016. Retrieved March 25, 2016.
- Andy Swift (September 8, 2017). "Descendants' Sofia Carson Takes on Marvel's Spider-Man — First Look". TVLine. Retrieved January 17, 2018.
- "Sofia Carson Is Guest Starring on Bella Thorne's "Famous In Love"". Teen Vogue. January 29, 2018.
- "Premios Juventud 2016: Lista completa de ganadores". Univision.
- Jessica Goodman (July 31, 2016). "Teen Choice Awards 2016: See the full list of winners". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved August 29, 2016.
- "Shawn Mendes & Meghan Trainor Lead Radio Disney Music Awards 2018 Nominations". Billboard.
- "Teen Choice Awards: 'Avengers: Endgame,' 'Crazy Rich Asians' and 'Riverdale' Among Nominees". The Hollywood Reporter.